Remington RB No 1 Creedmoor

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Fogman01

Remington RB No 1 Creedmoor

Post by Fogman01 »

New to this forum - don't have experience with Remington Rolling blocks - I have some Shiloh Sharps I like a lot and I am just beginning to shoot at some BPCR matches. I have been loading and shooting black powder for a couple of years and now I want to expand the silhouette target shooting to mid and long range shooting. I love the Sharps, but I would consider expanding my interest to any rifle used in Creedmoor matches. The rolling block is a candidate.

I am looking to find an original Creedmoor rifle in shootable condition. The Sharps originals are out of my price range but an original rolling block Creedmoor may not be. I was looking at a couple Remington Rolling Block No 1 Creedmoors in excellent condition I saw on Guns International. These seem to have everything even the little wedge piece in the bottom of the pistol grip and the original sights. But I have looked at past auctions of Julia's and some other places and it would appear that $6500+ is a bit high for this model. What caliber is "44S"? Looking at other No 1's it appears to mean 44-77. But maybe 44-90???? Bottle neck - straight? I load for a 44-77 BN for a Shiloh - is it the same?
And what would be a range for the price of Remington rolling block No 1 Creedmoor?

Thanks for any help.
marlinman93

Re: Remington RB No 1 Creedmoor

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, the "44S" is the .44-77 SBN. In Creedmoor rifles the cartridge was loaded with 90 grains of powder and referred to as the .44-90 Remington-Sharps Bottleneck, as both companies used the same caliber during the first Creedmoor match.
In my opinion, if you saw an original Remington Creedmoor for $6500 in above average shape, you should jump on it quickly! I can't remember seeing one that reasonable in quite a long time!
I saw this one on Gunsinternational for a couple grand less, but external condition is mostly bare. Says a excellent bore though, so still a bargain price I think:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f ... =100842790
Fogman01

Post by Fogman01 »

That one is a 44-100. Could I use a 44-100 sizing die on my 45-100 Starline cases and make them into 44-100. Or is the case rim or some other part not going to let the 45-100 brass work in the 44-100 rolling block. Would I have to find 44-100 brass specifically?
Fogman01

Post by Fogman01 »

Well, my copy of Cases of the World just arrived and in it is a picture of a Remington 44-100. It's a bottle neck so I guess making a 44-100 out of a 45-100 won't work.
Don Kenna

Post by Don Kenna »

You may very well have what is generally referred to now as a "44-90" (2-5/8-inch case). This should not be confused--and easily can be--with the 44/77 (2-1/4-inch case), as the latter was sometimes loaded with something approaching 90 grains of powder behind a very shallow-seated paper patch bullet, this loading being specifically intended for Creedmoor use. If you haven't done so already, a Cerrosafe chamber cast is in order. The longer .44/90 case was intended to have the bullet seated well into the case neck, even in Creedmoor rifles. Bear in mind that 1870s firearms' cartridge markings were pretty vague by our current standards, Remington's being among the vaguest. Captech International (formerly Jamison Brass) makes the cartridge cases. So, too, does Rocky Mountain Cartridge. Although their cases are quite expensive, the latter firm will work with you very patiently to make sure the case rims fit your particular rifle--a serious consideration for nonmilitary cartridge cases of the day.
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

The Remington 44-90 is different from the Sharps and the BN version is 2 7/16 long. Again, chamber casts are in order as rifles have been known to be reamed. Cartridges of the World is generally, but not always, correct on cartridge measurements but you need to cross check. Marcots' book is the current authority on variations, styles, and barrel markings.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Yellowhouse wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:42 am The Remington 44-90 is different from the Sharps and the BN version is 2 7/16 long.
But the original was not different than the Sharps, as both rifles shared ammo at the early Creedmoor competition. Back then the cartridge designation was Remington-Sharps, to give both companies that supplied rifles to the shooters equal credit.