Remington Keene in need of a little TLC

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
FrankRiess

Remington Keene in need of a little TLC

Post by FrankRiess »

Gentlemen,

I have come across a very interesting rifle however it does have some issues. It is the only one I have ever handled, so I have nothing to compare it to however I believe it is missing an elevator spring, a retainer for the forend cap, a rear stock screw, the rear rear sight screw, magazine follower and a trigger return spring.

The bolt is complete with the firing pin tip visible (which looks to be in good shape). The bolt functions properly. The elevator functions as it should, although I believe there should be a spring that holds it in the down position. The elevator travels up and down with the bolt as it should, however, if you were to turn the rifle upside-down, gravity will pull the elevator towards the chamber. The magazine cut-off functions as it should. If you hold the trigger forward, the hammer catches the sear (leading me to believe a 130 year old trigger return spring has given up). The stock is in good condition with one hairline crack extending forward of the bottom metal. The metal is in good condition with markings mostly legible and some blue remaining. Very little pitting and no rust. For the guns age, I would rate the bore as excellent. It is bright with the exception of one area of light rust that I am certain will brush out. The rifling is strong. I have not yet attempted to clean it.

Basically I have here a project. The rifle is far too complete to call a parts rifle, but not yet shootable, definitely servicable. Since these parts are not available, it will take a special gunsmith to make them. When complete, this rifle will be an amazing reminder of the past. I am at a point where I do not have the time to restore it and if I did, I would absolutely keep it. This specimen is not US marked which means it was a civilian rifle. Did it belong to a rancher or hunter? Did it fight off indians? I don't know, but I bet it could tell some stories. I would be open to selling it to someone who has the resources to restore it or I would be open to suggestions as to who and where I could have it restored. I can't even find good parts diagrams. I called Remington's Historian, but they could not help me. Thanks for your help!

Frank
Johnboat 225

Re: Remington Keene in need of a little TLC

Post by Johnboat 225 »

Attachments
Remington Mag Rifle 1889 manual.jpg
Remington Mag Rifle 1889 manual.jpg (50.36 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
FrankRiess

Post by FrankRiess »

Thank you Sir, that is an excellent starting point for me. Hopefully it has some detailed photos of the parts and maybe even some dimensions. Either way I will try it. It's probably a long shot, but does anyone know where some parts may be available? Thanks again!

Frank
Johnboat 225

Post by Johnboat 225 »

Did you find your parts.\? This post was on this forum last year. A guy with extra parts. Probably gone, but worth a try.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20977

"Hello BNelson. I have a complete action for this rifle. It is in good working condition for it`s age and no major rust pitting. I am willing to sell it for what I consider a reasonable price. Here is my email if you are still looking to aquire this Remington Keene 45-70 rifle. ..Email ...lewandlo@yahoo.com. Thanks."
jon_norstog

Post by jon_norstog »

For coil springs, you can find them at Ace hardware --- they are relatively cheap and may or may not work.

good luck!

jn
Don Doubles

Post by Don Doubles »

Did you ever get the parts for your Keene, if not I have a complete rifle I would sell.
If your interested email a phone number email is zahringer@charter.net

Don