help with very rare Remington 3 barrel revolving rifle

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
its scot

help with very rare Remington 3 barrel revolving rifle

Post by its scot »

I recently acquired a very rare Remington 3 barrel revolving barrel cap lock rifle It has 2 riffled barrels about 38 caliber one barrel has a fixed sight the other has a flip up adjustable peep sight for long range. The 3rd barrel is a smooth bore (shot gun) .590 diameter. The barrels are 29 inches long. It has a brass receiver with a hunting sein and Remington engraved on the lock plate. A brass patch box in the stock with a brass recoil pad that wraps around the but end. There are not any proof marks on the barrels no model number. no ser. number. I am looking for any info you have to offer I have found one similar rifle in the NRA museum made by H.V Perry. I need to come up with a value so I can add it to my insurance any help would be appreciated
Scot
admin
Site Admin

Re: help with very rare Remington 3 barrel revolving rifle

Post by admin »

Going to need photo's of that, I don't know what a 3 barrel revolving rifle is or remember seeing on in the museum.
its scot

Post by its scot »

I am trying to ad pics i thin i got it. looks like only 3 at a time is max.
scot
Attachments
DSC06296.JPG
DSC06296.JPG (151.61 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
DSC06290.JPG
DSC06290.JPG (253.52 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
DSC06285.JPG
DSC06285.JPG (102.96 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
its scot

Post by its scot »

And three more pics. it is a real cool gun. Stock has an old refinish job and there is a repair on one nipple.
Attachments
DSC06288.JPG
DSC06288.JPG (201.67 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
DSC06289.JPG
DSC06289.JPG (187.57 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
DSC06286.JPG
DSC06286.JPG (203.92 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

Scot

In all my years of collecting Remington's I've never seen any reference to rifles with more than double barrels.
It is believed that Remington only made barrels for the trade, until the 1840's. There are a couple of double barrel
percussion rifles known, but it is questionable if they were assembled by Remington, or just had their barrels.
Flayderman states that most percussion sporting rifles with Remington barrels were made by other gunsmiths.
Without further markings I would say this is the work of someone else (possibly H. V. Perry, as you mentioned) using a Remington lock.
However, I will say the trigger guard does look like the one Remington used on their Revolving rifle, which was produced from 1866-'79. There is always the possibility that it was custom made by Remington, but without further proof I doubt it.
That's my opinion, based on what I see
its scot

Post by its scot »

ChuckD
Thanks so much for the info.
I agree the trigger guard does look like some have seen on other early Remington rifles.
Many hours of looking and It is still a ? The Perry is close but has different latch mechanism and steel receiver.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

This is interesting. I hope that this thread continues.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

stanforth wrote:This is interesting. I hope that this thread continues.
I wish I had something to add but does it have Remington on the barrel group as well?

Also you can plug it into the computer for storage or operation, verifies it loaded? :lol:
its scot

Post by its scot »

I did some real hard looking. and I found on the barrels S J Fosdick so small i had to use a magnifying glass to read it. I am talking .025 tall letters. looking him up. I find he was a dentist that made some guns in Laporte Indiana. But have not found any pictures of his guns or what he made. I sent some emails out to Fjestad and some other experts
and hope to have some info soon.