No. 1 RB Sporting Rifle help (more pictures up!)

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Genetically Swiss

No. 1 RB Sporting Rifle help (more pictures up!)

Post by Genetically Swiss »

Hey guys,

My name is Loren and I am new to your fine forum. I have what I think is a Remington No. 1 Sporting Rifle with rolling block action. Caliber is .38 (long?) rim fire, has a straight bar extractor and it has a 30", gently tapered octagon barrel. Barrel width across the flats at breech, just in front of receiver is 1.035". Barrel width across the flats at muzzle is .90". Serial number is 8343 both on the trigger tang and under the forearm. The trigger tang is substantially longer than the receiver tang. I mention this because I read on your forum somewhere that this characteristic is a dinstinguishing feature of a No. 1 rifle. It also has what I think is an ebony insert in the front of the forearm. I will try to get some photos up. I have a number of photos of it, are there particular areas, or parts of the rifle I should post to help you guys to tell me approximate year of manufacture?

Regards,

GS
Last edited by Genetically Swiss on Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genetically Swiss

Re: No. 1 RB Sporting Rifle help

:( Nobody?

Let's try this, do I at least have it categorized correctly? That is, Remington No.1 sporting rifle with straight bar extractor?

Thanks in advance,

GS
ehull

Post by ehull »

We're awaiting the additional photographs, to better see what you have.
Genetically Swiss

Here are some more photos. I welcome any input you guys may have.

Genetically Swiss

More photos.

Genetically Swiss

Re: No. 1 RB Sporting Rifle help (more pictures up!)

JoJoDo

Post by JoJoDo »

It looks like you have a nice survivor! The rifle is a Remington No.1 Sporting Rifle. The original Remington records were lost in a fire so there is little to help give accurate dates. The address on your barrel looks like it starts with "E. Remington & Sons" which helps a little. Your rifle was likely made some time between the years of 1873 to 1894. From the book Remington Rolling Block Rifles by Roy Marcot, "It is believed that E. Remington & Sons ceased production of No.1 sporting and target rifles well before 1886 ..." That tightens up the probable years of your rifle a little more.

One of the characteristics of a later model No.1 is the shallow receiver rebate like your has. The earlier rifles had a deeper rebate. This would place your rifle closer to 1886 than 1873, but how close is anyone's guess.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Responses on this forum are slow but there are some very educated collectors here that can probably help more than I can.

Joe D
Genetically Swiss

Thank you JoJoDo, that actually helps. :mrgreen:

GS
Genetically Swiss

Hopefully this may help. The side-plate on the left side of the receiver reads as follows:

Patents
May 3, 1864
May 7 June 11
Nov 2 Dec 24
Dec 3 1872
Sept 9 1873

The top of the barrel reads:

E. Remington & Sons. Ilion.N.Y.

Thanks guys.

GS
Genetically Swiss

This rifle was just sold to a Rolling Block collector. It will have a happy and caring home.

GS