No. 1 Rolling Block Dovetail Mounted Sights

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Stuartwillard

No. 1 Rolling Block Dovetail Mounted Sights

Post by Stuartwillard »

I'm just beginning to learn about the No.1 because I would like to buy one or two early examples (45-70/44-77 and/or a lighter gun) that were originally sold for use in the US during the 1860s or 70s. I ordered the book by Roy Marcot but it hasn't arrived. I am not a collector, just looking for three or four guns from the post Civil War era.

The one burning question I have is whether or not any early rear sights were dovetail mounted. Any insight will be appreciated.

Bill
Dick Hosmer

Re: No. 1 Rolling Block Dovetail Mounted Sights

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Those Remington rolling block rifles made at the Springfield Armory utilized either a musket sight or the "long-range" sight from a Model 1868 Allin "trapdoor". This sight is retained by a dovetail at the front end and a spanner-head screw at the rear. I believe that MOST of the rear sights used by Remington themselves, as well as their foreign licensees, were attached with two screws.

.44-77, and various .43 calibers are common in the military rolling block, whereas the .45-70 is not. The versions made at Springfield were mainly in .50-70 (the M1867 Navy Cadet was chambered for .50-45) which was the standard US caliber at the time of your interest. The .45-70 did not come out until 1873, and is - as noted - not a common RRB caliber at all.

You might be interested in my book "The .58 and .50 Caliber Rifles and Carbines of the Springfield Armory, 1865-1872" which has complete coverage of the US military RBs - some of which are quite scarce - Remington's success with the military versions of the #1 model was nearly all from abroad. Send $25 to POB 1367 Colusa CA 95932 for an autographed copy, post paid. Thank you.
Stuartwillard

Re: No. 1 Rolling Block Dovetail Mounted Sights

Post by Stuartwillard »

Thank you Dick Hosmer, for the response. I committed to the rifle mentioned with the dovetail rear barrel sight. The rifle is a sporting version in 44-77, however. Actually the rear sight is missing, your input should help me look for and hopefully find a replacement. After the rifle arrives, I'll post a couple photos.

Your book sounds very good so expect my order. Thanks again!