broken trigger part - NYS militia model

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
kotkinjs1

broken trigger part - NYS militia model

Post by kotkinjs1 »

Hi all, I've become the new owner of a NYS Rolling Block and it's a real beauty. But I noticed the half-cock safety didn't work as I figured it should and the trigger doesn't set at the full cock (borrowed the photo from somewhere else on this board because I couldn't figure out how to fully disassemble the entire trigger mechanism). Took it apart and I think the red circled part below is broken off at the tip. About a quarter inch maybe but enough so the trigger can't seat correctly at full cock. What is that whole part called? It's all one piece I think. Would it be the same part as a regular #1 rolling block or are all the internals different for the NYS militia model? Anyone now of a good source for that part?? Thanks!
Attachments
P1010308 - Copy.JPG
P1010308 - Copy.JPG (218.25 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
oldremguy

Re: broken trigger part - NYS militia model

Post by oldremguy »

Go to S and S firearms web site and look up parts for rolling blocks. They have listed a trigger for the NYS rolling block rifle.

Have a Good Day,
Matt
kotkinjs1

Post by kotkinjs1 »

Thanks Matt, just checked out their website. Can you help me clarify....part RB215 "locking lever" seems to be the part in question. But it also says for the Original Army Model, not also the NYS one. I would doubt that they're swappable? Here's a shot from the website. The part that sticks up on the NYS model seems to have a bigger curve than the one here?

http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RB215
Attachments
locking lever.jpg
locking lever.jpg (10.13 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Wrong assumption in parsing, I believe. I'm pretty sure that S&S meant the part was "original", as opposed to a "reproduction". It's a fairly common format for their listings.

AFAIK, the "locking" action is the same for both the Remington-made NYS models, and the Springfield-assembled 1871 Army model.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

kotkinjs1 wrote:Thanks Matt, just checked out their website. Can you help me clarify....part RB215 "locking lever" seems to be the part in question. But it also says for the Original Army Model, not also the NYS one. I would doubt that they're swappable? Here's a shot from the website. The part that sticks up on the NYS model seems to have a bigger curve than the one here?

http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RB215
I don't know if the parts are the same or not, you could try giving S and S firearms a call and see if they know if it would fit the NYS Model. The only other place I know to check is with G.S. Womacks rolling block parts web site
http://www.rollingblockparts.com/
You could email Kenn or give him a call, he may have the locking lever for the NYS Model rifle.
When I have some time this weekend I will pull both of my Model 1871 Springfield Rifle and the NYS Model rifle out of the safe and try to see if the parts are the same.

Matt
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Photo 1.jpg
Photo 1.jpg (196.33 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Photo 1: Upper trigger guard is from the Model 1871 Springfield Rifle
Bottom trigger guard is from the NYS Model
Photo 2.jpg
Photo 2.jpg (187.25 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Photo 2: The upper locking lever is from the NYS Model Rifle
Bottom locking lever is from the Model 1871 Springfield rifle
IMG_20151206_152405.jpg
IMG_20151206_152405.jpg (80.5 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Photo 3: The locking lever from the Model 1871 Springfield rifle is setting on
top of the locking lever from the NYS Model rifle, both are the same size

So it looks like you can use th locking lever from the 1871 Model Springfield rifle
in the NYS Model Rifle.

Have a Good Day,
Matt
ehull

Post by ehull »

Matt- Is the only difference the roller on the end of the spring on the Springfield version? Ed
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

ehull wrote:Matt- Is the only difference the roller on the end of the spring on the Springfield version? Ed
Hello Ed,
You are correct the only difference between the parts from the Model 1871 Springfield rifle and the NYS Model rifle was the mainspring. All the other parts looked the same, but I didn't put all the parts from each gun next to each other, I was watching a footballl game when i took the photos. Speaking of photos I don't know what happen to photo 1, after I posted it the photo got turned on it's side. Now the Model 1871 Springfield trigger guard is show on the left side of the photo and the NYS Model trigger guard is on the right side of the photo.

Matt
kotkinjs1

Post by kotkinjs1 »

Thanks to everyone here for the information. Got the locking lever in the mail and after a lot of cursing and elbow grease, got the receiver all apart and pieces swapped. Hammer goes back and fully locks now. I haven't read up yet on how the half-cock safety is supposed to work but it all seems good now. Thanks again!
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Glad to hear you got the part and are back up and running. Now you can enjoy that new rifle.

Have a Good Day,
Matt