Navy “Fake?” Rolling Block Carbine

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Skirmisher

Navy “Fake?” Rolling Block Carbine

Post by Skirmisher »

Hello the fire. This is my first post and I have a question.
I have an early model #1 Rolling Block carbine that as far as I can tell is something someone put together from an original US Navy barrel and other parts. I have read how Dixie made such barrels available in the past. They did a good job and the piece is sound and in very good condition. The anchor appears at the top of the barrel & serial number is on the left side but the action is devoid of any markings except the Remington address and patent info on the tang. The ejector is on the left side; a dead giveaway if I am not wrong. There is a “U” marked on the barrel band. My question regards caliber. A loaded .50-70 round will chamber and extract easily (though an empty care ejects only with difficulty). The chamber measures, as well as I can tell, the same length as a .50-70 case. So while this was represented to be a .50-45 I believe it is actually .50-70. Is the caliber controlled by the barrel or the action?
I’d like to shoot it with some light .50-70 cartridges (55g of 2f 400g bullet) I use in my original .50-70 Sharps carbine. I also have some .515 350g bullets from my Smith and Maynard carbines I’d like to try.
If it is .50-45 what is the proper case length to trim .50-70 cases?
Thanks for any help or comments.
Skirmisher
oldremguy

Re: Navy “Fake?” Rolling Block Carbine

Post by oldremguy »

Hello Skirmisher,

I first thing I would do is a chamber cast of your carbine to see if it is the 50-45 cartridge or the 50-70 cartridge. The original Navy rolling block carbines were chambered in 50-45. If a 50-70 chambers in the gun the person that put it together may of reamed it out to 50-70. I have done a quick chamber cast on some of my guns by melting down some candle wax and pouring it into the chamber. It would give you the approximate length of the cartridge that your barrel is chambered for. The approximate length of the 50-45 cartridge is 1.33" as noted in Richard Hosmer book on .58 & .50 Caliber Rifles & Carbines of the Springfield Armory 1865 to 1872.
There is a short video on youtube made by Midway USA that shows making the 50-45 round for the navy carbine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FBehwXgnDo

Have a Good Day,
Matt
Skirmisher

Post by Skirmisher »

Thanks Matt,

So the chamber is part of the barrel, right? Am I right in figuring that a .50/70 cartridge would not fit into a .50-45 chamber?

I got a rough measurement of about 1 3/4 inches by pushing in the tail of my caliper in until it struck the rifling. I'll try the wax method. How exactly do you remove the wax in one piece after it sets? Sounds like a useful technique.

I have seen the Midway video on loading for the .50-45. Hopefully I have a .50-70 so I can use the ammo I already load.

Skirmisher
roller boy

Post by roller boy »

How about some pixs of this puppy.. I've had a few built up rollers using Dixie barrels from way back when.. Some had terrible ream jobs.. Be careful
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Here is a web site that will explain how to do the chamber cast.
http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2 ... y-tim.html
You would want to take the breech block and hammer out of the frame and you may also have
to take out the slide extractor before doing the chamber cast. It will make it easier to pour the wax
into the chamber. You are right a 50-70 should not chamber into a barrel made for the 50-45 cartridge.
Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Have a Good Day,
Matt
Skirmisher

Post by Skirmisher »

Very interesting link, Matt! Thanks again.

I will take some pictures and post them once I get time. It's a pretty nice piece.

Skirmisher
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Here is a picture showing, from left to right:

(1) .50-70 blank
(2) .50-45 (short case) Navy carbine, and SA-made (RB) cadet
(3) .50-45 (long case) Navy carbine, and SA-made (RB) cadet
(4) .50-55 carbine, and Army cadet (Allin system)
(5) .50-70 rifle

One should not be able to chamber a .50-70 (1.75" case) in an arm originally chambered for the shorter .50-45.
Attachments
92787449.jpg
92787449.jpg (32.83 KiB) Viewed 3565 times