Help!! NYSRB Reassembly THANKS NOW IT'S TOGETHER

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
wsmrto

Help!! NYSRB Reassembly THANKS NOW IT'S TOGETHER

Post by wsmrto »

I have done many reg rolling blocks with no problems, but I can't seem to get the NYS version to go back correctly. I think I am doing something wrong with the small maybe 7/8 in long spring that I am installing near the Mainspring. So someone help me out Please!! Is there a special way it goes in?
Last edited by wsmrto on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Hosmer

Re: Help!! NYSRB Reassembly

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I was going to suggest "Single Shot Rifles and Actions" by the late Frank DeHaas, but, at least at a quick glance, it does not seem to cover the "locking" action.

I'm sure that particular mechanism has some additional parts, almost certainly to include at least one extra spring, which you may not have seen before.

I've never had my Springfield 1871 Army (same action) out of the wood, but surely someone more knowledgeable than I can set you right.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

The photos below showing the where the springs are located inside the trigger guard of a NYS Model rolling block rifle.
P1010300 - Copy.JPG
P1010300 - Copy.JPG (87.02 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
P1010308 - Copy.JPG
P1010308 - Copy.JPG (155.94 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
P1010311 - Copy.JPG
P1010311 - Copy.JPG (134.4 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
Hope the photos help.

Have a Good Day,
Matt
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Great info - thanks for sharing. What a Rube Goldberg (I show my age) mess.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Thanks for that 'Oldremguy'.
I have saved the images in my Rolling Block file on my computer. It has also helped me to make the decision ' Don't take the NYS rifle apart unless absolutely necessary.
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Amen as to leaving that design alone!

About the best thing that can be said is that everything at least appears to be 'captured' (so long as nothing is broken, of course!).

What causes trouble is those cases when disassembly allows a loose piece to detach, and you have no idea where it came from. I'm sure that has happened to all of us at least once! :-(
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Dick Hosmer wrote:Amen as to leaving that design alone!

About the best thing that can be said is that everything at least appears to be 'captured' (so long as nothing is broken, of course!).

What causes trouble is those cases when disassembly allows a loose piece to detach, and you have no idea where it came from. I'm sure that has happened to all of us at least once! :-(
Yes!! The first time I stripped a Martini Henry. That was over 50 years ago but it still haunts me. It was in a grass field and the springs went everywhere :(
wsmrto

Post by wsmrto »

Thanks so much for all the help. I had just about to put this one in another box as a "DO LATER" project. Of which I have several now standing along the workshop wall, small boxes with the barreled actions pointing up like forlorn tomato stakes. I am printing these to put into my Disassembly of Certerfire Rifles binder which is really growing. Thanks again.