Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Dick Hosmer

Re: Dating a Remington Rolling Block

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Don't worry, "U" are excused! :-)
tanpatsu

Post by tanpatsu »

Hi Scorpion8....Just did a thorough look see on one of my very late model Remington Arms Company marked RBs and I apologize... the "U" with the top facing the muzzle is indeed on the Left Side. To be certain of this, I examined my near factory new Remington Spanish Model that came out of the Winchester Museum Reference Collection catalog # 1365, which was received in March 1900, and appears to have never been disassembled. Evidently many surplus RBs that returned in the past evidently had their bands switched around. Sooo... Just to be certain, see if yours will properly fit with the U at the left. Cheers, George
tanpatsu

Post by tanpatsu »

Nuts...one more inconsistency I just caught....the screw head as on your barrel band is also on left side of mine as well... meaning that they stamped the U at random on either side. All these years I never really took note of this simple feature, but I suppose it was a fact of life of mass production.
tanpatsu

Post by tanpatsu »

TOO many U's being discussed here I guess....Disregard last message....The screw head on mine IS on the Right... but the U is not as I stated....
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

tanpatsu wrote:Nuts...one more inconsistency I just caught....the screw head as on your barrel band is also on left side of mine as well... meaning that they stamped the U at random on either side. All these years I never really took note of this simple feature, but I suppose it was a fact of life of mass production.
Perhaps SA (not having to show a profit) held themselves to a higher standard?

In 45 years of collecting same, I have never seen a wrongly-made band. Wrongly installed - common - wrongly made - no.
Scorpion8

Post by Scorpion8 »

Looks like I'll have to correct the barrel band issue on my RB. I'd hate to have the RB Gods deny my application to have a proper and correct item.
NRA Life; NAHC Life; Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, ......glory .......lasts forever!