Addicted to Military Rolling Blocks

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
stanforth

Re: Addicted to Military Rolling Blocks

Post by stanforth »

Dick Hosmer wrote:Forgive my ignorance - what is a/the "scarf"? Thanks.
My guess would be the cloth scarf at the back of the display in image 7.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

stanforth wrote:At least I didn't see one of these in your collection.
Swedish 1870 Cavelry Carbine in 12.7X44R converted from rimfire. Made in 1877 by Carl Gustav.
Excuse the image quality.
Hello Stanfourth,
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you I’ve been out of town for a number of days and just getting back to my computer.
You are correct I don’t have one of the Swedish 1870 cavalry carbines like you have in my collection.
I’ve had the opportunity to purchase a couple of them, but when I have run across them it’s always when my funds are low.
Like rudybolla said that you can wind up with a closet full of the Swedish and Norwegian rolling blocks because of the different
various models that they produced. I have tried to focus my collection on the military rolling blocks that Remington produced,
but as you could see I have been sidetracked and have picked up rolling blocks that were produced by other countries.
Your carbine looks to be a very nice condition, thanks for sharing the photographs of it.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Dick Hosmer wrote:Forgive my ignorance - what is a/the "scarf"? Thanks.
Hello Dick,
As stanforth has pointed out you can see the scarf displayed in photo 7. The Spanish government had supplied
the scars to their troops, the rifle depicted on the scarf is a Spanish made rolling block model 1871.
If you look at photo 3, gun number 25, is one of the model 1871 rifles produced by Spain.
The scarf explains the various parts of the gun and I believe how to maintain it.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

stanforth wrote:
Swedish 1870 Cavelry Carbine in 12.7X44R converted from rimfire. Made in 1877 by Carl Gustav.
Since my post above. I have had a chance to try the carbine with an gallery load (188grn round ball and 45 grns Black powder) and something like a service load of 380 grn hollow base bullet and 74grns. PB.
These were on a 25 yard range and the results were the same for both 1 1/2 inch group.The blast , noise and flame from the service load was most impressive.
I am impressed with the results from a 16 inch barreled gun that looks like it wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn from inside.
I shall continue to use it as a gallery rifle with the low load.
Hello stanforth,

It looks like the carbine is fun to shoot. What kind of brass are you using for the cartridge.
I have shot some of the rolling blocks that I have in 43 Spanish 43 Egyptian, 50-70 and 45-70,
but I don't have any of the loading components for the Swedish rifles. It would be interesting to
compare the Remington made rifle with the Remington made barrel against the Remington made
rifle that I have that has had the barrel changed to a Swedish made one. I would like to see which
one is the most accurate.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

oldremguy wrote:
stanforth wrote:
Since my post above. I have had a chance to try the carbine with an gallery load (188grn round ball and 45 grns Black powder) and something like a service load of 380 grn hollow base bullet and 74grns. PB.
These were on a 25 yard range and the results were the same for both 1 1/2 inch group.The blast , noise and flame from the service load was most impressive.
I am impressed with the results from a 16 inch barreled gun that looks like it wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn from inside.
I shall continue to use it as a gallery rifle with the low load.
Hello stanforth,

It looks like the carbine is fun to shoot. What kind of brass are you using for the cartridge.
I have shot some of the rolling blocks that I have in 43 Spanish 43 Egyptian, 50-70 and 45-70,
but I don't have any of the loading components for the Swedish rifles. It would be interesting to
compare the Remington made rifle with the Remington made barrel against the Remington made
rifle that I have that has had the barrel changed to a Swedish made one. I would like to see which
one is the most accurate.

I use 'Bertram Brass' it is the only brass cases available in the UK as we can't get Buffalo Brass here anymore.
It is in 12.7X44mm I use 50/70 RCBS dies and bullets cast in a Lee mould for 50/70 I use 450grn. For galley ranges I use .500 round ball cast in a Lee mould. The othe Bullet I am using is a .50 cal x 360gn. Mini also cast in a Lee mould.
For the heavier bullets I fill the cases with Fg. Black Powder. For gallery loads I use 45gn. pistol powder and felt wads to fill the gap. I have 3 Swedish Rolling blocks that I use.
I also shoot .43 Egyptian in 2 different rifles and a .32 rimfire No.4.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

ehull wrote:Matt, Very unique carbine -- Remington certainly made some weird stuff.
I asked about the scarf because other examples also have a Spanish printer's name. I don't think Remington was involved in their fabrication, because their name is misspelled!
I have a scarf in Swedish, but the hem no longer has the name of the printer. I have not seen another.
Ed
Hello Ed,

Here are some photographs of the carbine with a 1855 bayonet attached to it.
side view with bayonet 1.jpg
side view with bayonet 1.jpg (33.01 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
P1010171 - Copy.JPG
P1010171 - Copy.JPG (141.92 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
bayonet.jpg
bayonet.jpg (178.83 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
Have a Good Day,
Matt
ehull

Post by ehull »

Matt- Fascinating carbine. I had a similar one, .50 RF with musket rear sight, years ago but did not think to try a M1855 bayonet on it. My .58 CF carbine also takes that bayonet. Ed
wsmrto

Post by wsmrto »

No wonder I can't find the darn things, and when I do they cost so damn much. You have them all!!! And yes they are very addictive. I only have about 8 or nine but all of them are great to shoot. I reload for the 43 Spanish both long rifle and Carbine, the 50/70 NYS rifles and and several 7mm that are also fun. I have two with nice clear Mexican Crests, one a 7mm Carbine and one long rifle. I also have a few nice Swedish in 8X58 R that I reload and are great shooters. I have been lucky that I have found any around New Mexico as there is still some old Farts (like me) who love them as much as a Mauser or nice old Win.