One for the experts

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
stanforth

One for the experts

Post by stanforth »

I have a sporter that I assume is a Swedish conversion. It has no stampings other than a 'S' on the hammer and breachblock pins. The Breachblock is curved and I can't detect signs of conversion from rimfire. Is is chambered for 12.7x44R.
The main point of interest is the trigger guard, I haven't seen one like it on a military RB. Any help?
Attachments
sporter 3.JPG
sporter 3.JPG (73.71 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
Sporter 2.JPG
Sporter 2.JPG (88.93 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
Sporter 1.JPG
Sporter 1.JPG (103.27 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
rudybolla

Re: One for the experts

Post by rudybolla »

I have had several sporters with that slimmed down trigger guard. I think these are all very late rolling blocks, perhaps early 20th century.
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Trigger guard was probably done by the same person who checkered the stock. Pretty nice job - a lot of metal was removed to get from there to here. As to "early" vs. "late", I was under the impression that those blocks showing the concave profiling at the front of the knuckle were an early feature?
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Dick Hosmer wrote: As to "early" vs. "late", I was under the impression that those blocks showing the concave profiling at the front of the knuckle were an early feature?
I understand that concave blocks were an early feature on Remington made guns but were retained on Swedish (both Carl Gustav and Husquvarna) made rifles.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

The other point is that there are no markings whatsoever on the action or tang. I wonder if this is one of the rifles made by a worker who I believe were able to purchase parts to produce guns for the target and sporting users.
Last edited by stanforth on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

stanforth wrote:The other point is that there are no markings whatsoever on the action or tang. I wonder if this is one of the rifles made by worker who I believe were able to purchase parts to produce guns for the target and sporting users.
This is probably the case. I have had numerous gunsmith built sporting rollers pass through my hands, from pretty simple to very elaborate. There seems to be no end to the variations. Small cosmetic flaws could reject parts and they were sold to employees or small shops for custom work.
ehull

Post by ehull »

What is the mark/stamping on the left barrel flat?
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

ehull wrote:What is the mark/stamping on the left barrel flat?
Unfortunatly irrelevant.
Years ago the original barrel and fore end were destroyed in an accident. I obtained the remains and replaced the barrel with a good Husqvarna one from a rifle in otherwise poor condition. This gave me one rifle that would shoot and I use it a lot.
The original barrel is only a distant memory.