Swedish rifles

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
ehull

Swedish rifles

Post by ehull »

How many of you diehard RB collectors have been able to acquire a true Remington made Swedish rifle, in something close to original configuration, one of 10,000? The type with 3bands held by band springs, and breech pivot pins screw-retained.
oldremguy

Re: Swedish rifles

Post by oldremguy »

Hello Ed,

I have two Remington made Swedish Rifles, both are dated 1867.
One is all original and the second one had the Remington barrel removed and replaced with
a Swedish made barrel dated 1868. Will take some photos of them this weekend and post them.

Have a Good Day,
Matt
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Life at last!!!
I have 4 Swedish Rolling Blocks.
One is a Swedish short military rifle made by Husquvarna.
Two others are sportsters one converted from military originally made by Carl Gustav the other a civilian one made from bought out parts ( Husquvarna) and the next is a new toy.
Purchased this week it is a 1870 Carbine made by Carl Gustav in 1877 and in superb condition. Unusually for the carbine it has been converted to centrefire. I am waiting impatient to see what sort of muzzle flare I can get from the 16 inch barrel if I fire it at dusk. 73 gns of black powder it should be awesome.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Here are photos of the two rifles.
Doc1 - Copy.jpg
Doc1 - Copy.jpg (88.53 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Doc2 - Copy.jpg
Doc2 - Copy.jpg (86.11 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Doc3 - Copy.jpg
Doc3 - Copy.jpg (91.52 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Have a Good Day,
Matt
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

I'm sure I am going to be corrected. But...
I believe that the first 10,000 rifles and 20,000 aditional actions were made in Illion.
I suggest that you may have one of each. A USA made Rifle and a Swedish finished rifle with a Remington made action.

If I am correct in my assumption that I am about to be corrected it will at least bring some life to this forum. :lol:
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Whatever theory is correct will have to allow for the fact that the Swedish-barreled rifle has a forend that was originally made for a US barrel.

If the Swedes made everything but the action, that wouldn't be the case.

The greatest problem with trying to reconstruct events like this is the limited size of the sample(s) available. One individual piece, which had a unique history, can skew the results.
ehull

Post by ehull »

Keep in mind that the first 10,000 made by Remington used the "moon" screw retainers for the breech pivot pins. The second 20,000 were made with the pin retainer plate, so it is easy to determine an 'original' first type (from re-barreled) and a second type made with Swedish barrel and stock in Sweden.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

I don't, but guy in my area probably has 30-40 RBs - that I have seen. Total no telling. He has about everything. One is on my bucket list!
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

ehull wrote:Keep in mind that the first 10,000 made by Remington used the "moon" screw retainers for the breech pivot pins. The second 20,000 were made with the pin retainer plate, so it is easy to determine an 'original' first type (from re-barreled) and a second type made with Swedish barrel and stock in Sweden.
That would support my theory. What a perfect base for a 'Swedish/Norwegian' collection.
ehull

Post by ehull »

BTW, great photos, Matt. Very informative.

I looked at the 3 Remington made Model 1867 Swedish rifles I have (2 full military, one barreled action with misc. other parts), and they match your description. I suspect the parts on the Remington made rifles were all marked "1867" because many parts -- especially the configurations of both stocks -- were not interchangeable with the Swedish products. The early Swedish made rifles, to include those using Remington-made breeches, are also dated, so it is easier to see the variations over time. Further, the rifles I have seen all have "serial numbers" stamped on the left side of all the major parts -- apparently the Swedes were not convinced on parts interchangeability.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Have added more photos to include a Swedish made Model 1867 Rifle.
Doc1a - Copy.jpg
Doc1a - Copy.jpg (90.15 KiB) Viewed 4119 times
Doc2a - Copy.jpg
Doc2a - Copy.jpg (103.72 KiB) Viewed 4119 times
Doc3a.jpg
Doc3a.jpg (84.35 KiB) Viewed 4119 times
You can note that the forearm on the Swedish made rifle is different then found on the Remington made rifles.The forearm doesn't have a steel nose cap and the wood ends at the barrel band. The barrel bands are also different, the barrel bands on the Remington made rifles are held in place by barrel band springs, there are no barrel band springs on the Swedish made rifles. The barrel bands on the Swedish made rifle are like the ones found on later produced Remington rifles having screws on the bottom of the band to hold them in place on the forearm. You will also note that all the serial numbers are matching. It is believed that the Swedish added the serial numbers to the Remington made rifles after they were delivered. So the Remington Rifle with the Swedish made replacement barrel would of had the same serial number 1157 as found in the wood and the receiver. Also the buttplates are different from the Remington made rifles and the Swedish made rifles.
See more photos on the next post.

Have a Good Day,
Matt
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Here are more photos of the rifles.
Doc4a - Copy.jpg
Doc4a - Copy.jpg (111.58 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
Doc5a.jpg
Doc5a.jpg (212.41 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
So I still believe that the top Remington rifle was a complete rifle when it was shipped to Sweden. At some point in time a barrel from a rifle built by Sweden with the serial numbers 3218 stamped on it was taken apart and the original barrel was taken off the Remington made rifle and replaced with the Swedish made barrel.

Have a Good Day,
Matt
ehull

Post by ehull »

Mat- Once again, great photos. I agree with your evaluation.