Help identify remington wooden rifle case

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
oscar

Help identify remington wooden rifle case

Post by oscar »

Hi,
im from Peru. I´m looking for some help to identify a wooden box that was for carrying Remington Spansih model rifles.
Here in Peru we have an organization that studies the period of the war that we had with Chile between 1879 - 1883.
In this war the peruvian army used remington rifles in the spanish and egyptian models.
Some days ago, during an excavation in a place where military action took place, we found a wooden box or case that had a print text that showed the following information: Spanish modelo - Angular bayonet - Remington system - Cal. 11 mm - Met. Cart´ge.
I would appreciate very much if someone can give me more information about this cases.
Thnks very much.
Oscar
Attachments
full case
full case
pic2.jpg (106.11 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
wooden case print
wooden case print
pic1.jpg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
Dick Hosmer

Re: Help identify remington wooden rifle case

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The chest is very typical of American arms chests of the late 1800s, and I suspect it originated in the Remington factory.

I have a nearly identical one, for .45-70 "trapdoors", from our Springfield Armory, dated 1895.

They were meant to hold 20 rifles in two layers. Each layer had 5 rifles pointing in opposite directions, for a total of 10 per layer. An intricate system of removable wood blocks kept the rifles from touching each other. A set of clamps was arranged at the bottom to hold the 20 bayonets. They were originally provided with a wooden lid which was screwed on. Both ends were originally the same - someone has cut a hole in yours. Fully loaded, weight was well over 250 pounds.

When no longer needed for rifles the boxes were used for other purposes, with most being destroyed or just having rotted away over the years. Surviving examples are rather scarce, and complete specimens can fetch over $1,000.
ehull

Re: Help identify remington wooden rifle case

Post by ehull »

Oscar,
Welcome to our forum.
Peru purchased 24,000 Remington Spanish Model rifles during the "Guerra del Pacifico." These are caliber .43 Spanish, or 11 mm. Some used the angular (or socket type) bayonet and some used a saber bayonet. We have no record of the purchase of the Egyptian Model rifle.
This is a typical shipping crate or box.
Please send your email address to me and I will send to you my magazine article giving the whole story from an American point of view.
Edatbeach@adelphia.net

What is the name of your organization?