1885 Remington Lee Cut-off:

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
relic54

1885 Remington Lee Cut-off:

Post by relic54 »

I need help understanding a Remington Lee rifle that has a magazine cut-off. This rifle appears to be an 1885 with the round cocking piece. It is chambered in 43 Spanish and has a 32 inch barrel. Now for the anomalies:
This firearm doesn't appear to have a serial number. (The only marking that has been found is a very small 'V' / 'P' under the rear band, on the left side of the barrel. As well as the number 224 on the left side of the trigger guard.)
The rifle has a cut-off installed on the right side of the receiver that operates a horizontal bar located on the left side of the magazine well where the spring platform should be located. When the receiver lever is to the rear the magazine bar is at its highest point. (Indicating magazine in use?)
The stock doesn't have the 'W D and Broad Arrow' stamp shown on page #42 of Mr. Myszkowski's book that would indicate British War Department owner-ship.
The receiver cut / slot for the extractor is large and oval in shape.
The rear sight appears to be the same unit as shown in Mr. Myszkowski's photo of the New Zealand receiver markings on page #40 but the radiuses portion, of this sight on this rifle, is facing forward. When the staff is vertical the range markings can be read from the rear. In this orientation there appears to be a small 'H' stamped on the right rear of the sight base.

I have magazines for the 1885 Remington Lee in the 43 Spanish but they will not work in this rifle, unless altered for the cut-off bar. Does anyone have information that defines / shows what an altered magazine would / should look like?

If there is interest / responses to this post, I will make every effort to post pictures to clarify the above statements.

A heart felt thinks to any and all that can shed some light on this old rifle.
GeneM

Re: 1885 Remington Lee Cut-off:

Post by GeneM »

Can you post pictures of the receiver? This might help in IDing who the changes were for. Besides the British the Danish government also tested Lees with a cutoff. I checked the 1920 Remington Museum listing and the number 224 is not a Lee. Also look on the toe of the stock and see if there are two little holes about 1/2" apart. The Museum used brass brads to hold numbered tags to the stock. Many of the tags were removed over the years after the Museum guns were sold in the 1948 - 1950 period.