Need Help with Rolling Block Identification - Challenging

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
bls4321

Need Help with Rolling Block Identification - Challenging

Post by bls4321 »

Pick up a rolling bock at the gun show last weekend and am trying to get some of the identification straightened out. Here is what I have.
Model 1 1/2 with flat top receiver without a step in the sides of the frame. 30 " barrel full octagon.
Caliber - 32 RF (Marked 32 on bottom of barrel ahead of forend)
Serial number - Marking of 2181 on bottom of barrel, rear lower tang, forend and buttstock. 2914 marked on unexposed side of upper tang and on side of trigger guard assembly.
Remington copyright marks on left side of receiver.
No other trademarks on receiver
E.Remington trademark on top of barrel ahead of rear sight.
-On the bottom of the barrel just ahead of the action it is marked L.F. & Co. S A 24

The three question that I have in my mind are.
1 - Why the different numbers on the frame and trigger assembly? Particularly the trigger assembly that has both numbers. (just one visible though)
2 - Why no trademark on the upper tang. No signs of removal.
3 - What is the L.F. & Co. S A. 24? I find a Conn. company L.F.& Co. who made appliances and knives but no reference back to Remington. And the 24? (the barrel is 30")

Overall a nice piece. Would love to convert to .32-20 if I can find that it had already seen some value reducing changes. (so far I am not, wood has been refinished but it is not to bad. Original metal)
Dick Hosmer

Re: Need Help with Rolling Block Identification - Challengin

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Also, the company who made knives, etc. for the governmment was Landers, Frary & Clark, so the L.F. & Co. is probably not them.