Barrel Band Markings

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Don Eigler

Barrel Band Markings

Post by Don Eigler »

What can I learn about my RB from its barrel band markings? First a little bit about the gun.

My RB is a Type 1 “Transformed” with the earliest variant breechblock that has the small plate added to it to give it “ears.” There are no steps on the side of the receiver. It has the standard two-line patent stamp. Ed Hull has suggested that it might have been sold to France for the Franco-Prussian war. The proof and inspector’s stamps on the bottom side of the barrel indicate that the RB passed through Belgium sometime between 1877 and 1892 where I’m guessing it was re-barreled. The upper and lower tangs are stamped with the letter ‘C’ and the number 93348. A chamber casting indicates that it is chambered for 11x59R French Gras (or so the gunsmith says). The bottom of the barrel has the number 10.6 stamped into it.

The barrel bands are of the solid type, retained by spring clips attached to the forestock. The front barrel band has a crown stamped into it (see pictures). This crown is slightly different in style than the ones on the Greek RB shown on pages 83-85 in George Layman’s book. The cross on the crown in Layman’s book appears different than what we see here: the crown on the Greek RB seems to be splayed out more along the horizontal axis, and the design of the cross atop the crown appears to be different. In fact, to my eye it’s more of a star than a cross atop the crown on my RB (but there may be no historical precedent for stars atop crowns so I’m not pushing my opinion here). The crown on my front barrel band (and it is the only crown on the gun) looks very much like the crown shown at http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index ... pic=6174.0. Someone commented on that site that the crown was a Danish crown, but the Danish crown has four lobes, not three. I’m not so certain it’s Danish. Does this crown reveal anything about the history of my RB?

The middle and rear barrel bands are stamped with the letters ‘DB’ as shown in the attached pictures. Any ideas? Has anyone seen this before?

I should also mention that there is no stamp on the sling attachment ring that is part of the middle barrel band.

Thanks for any help.
Don
Attachments
Detail of the crown stamped into the front barrel band.
Detail of the crown stamped into the front barrel band.
Crown Detail.jpg (150.57 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
The middle barrel band stamped with the letters 'DB'.
The middle barrel band stamped with the letters 'DB'.
Middle Barrel Band.jpg (165.15 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
The rear barrel band stamped with the letters 'DB' up-side-down.
The rear barrel band stamped with the letters 'DB' up-side-down.
Rear Barrel Band.jpg (201.03 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
Don Eigler

Re: Barrel Band Markings

Post by Don Eigler »

Resending picture of front barrel band that didn't make it through the first time.
Attachments
Front barrel band with crown stamped into it.
Front barrel band with crown stamped into it.
Front Barrel Band.jpg (179.92 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
tjack

Re: Barrel Band Markings

Post by tjack »

The only thing I can add is that the 10.6 on the bottom of the barrel indicates 11mm Spanish cartridge. 11.1 would indicate the 11mm Egyptian cartridge.