Help with Tang Sight for No. 1 1/2 Sporter in 32RF

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
buckeyebill

Help with Tang Sight for No. 1 1/2 Sporter in 32RF

Post by buckeyebill »

Hello.
This is my first post on the forum. Thank you in advance for your wisdom and consideration. I am looking for a tang sight for a Remington Arms Co. No. 1 1/2 in 32 Short/Long rimfire blackpowder. Serial number is 3007. Originally great grandfather's. Want to pass down to nephew with a tang sight included.

The original filler screws are still in the tang. Anyone know the original or new Lyman, Vernier, or Marbles tang sights for this rifle? Sight base letter or number and sight upper part number or model number would be very helpful.

My initial measurement of the tang sight screws was 1.95" C to C. Hoping to find a midrange sight with both elevation and windage to allow for teaching my nephew the use of the old-style sight. Note that both the original front blade and rear buckhorn sights are currently dovetailed on the rifle.

Found some reloadable 32 Short/Long rimfire cartridges from H&C in the UK (primers must come from the USA though).

Any tang sights out there? Thanks to everyone for your help and enthusiasm for old rolling blocks!
stanforth

Re: Help with Tang Sight for No. 1 1/2 Sporter in 32RF

Post by stanforth »

Who are H&C?
I am trying to load for my Remington No.4 Rolling Block and the current line is to use Hilti nail gun blanks as primers in suitably altered .300 rook & rabbit cases by Bertram.
I will let you know the oucome.
I am interested in anything available here in the UK that allows me to load for this rifle.
My rifle has a tang site on it probably from new in the 1890's. There is markings or name on the site but the measurements seem the same as yours.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Well... That's a no. Rook rifle cases looked an answer but the rim is a little bit small and there is a groove in front of the rim leaving insufficient metal for a pocket large enough for the Hilti cartridge.
Of all of the guns in my collection, and there are quite a few, the .32 rimfire Rolling Block is the only one that I have yet to fire.
It's not a problem..... It's not a problem... IT'S A CHALLENGE.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Well it's no longer a challenge.
I contacted H&C in France and ordered a 'Trial kit' it concisted of 5 x reloadable cases with .316 bullets and (in the EEC) .22 starter pistol blanks.
It was just a case of filling with black powder, pushing in the blanks and fire.

I was so impressed that I have ordered a reasonable supply of cases and bullets.
Highly reccomended. One point. For the USA they can't send the blanks, hardly a problem. :D
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

2 months on.

I find that the cases and bullets (see last post) loaded with Pyrodex P will give me a 2 1/2 inch group at 20 yards(the .32 rimfire was never famed for acuracy) but if I use the same load with a .219 round ball from a Lee mould number 34307 904109 I get a group of maginally over 1 inch. This also saves getting the bullets from France saving a lot of money in cost and postage.
This was using pure lead, the next step is to try using hard (10% tin) mixture.
I will let you know how I get on.
bpd303

Post by bpd303 »

To answer your question on tang sights, Marble Arms has one to fit the Rolling Block (009826 or 009819). They are available through Brownells. Leaves a rather large hole in the wallet though.

http://www.marblearms.com/standardPeepTang_info.html

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/si ... 21568.aspx
Train for tomorrow for you never know what it will bring to the fight.