Rolling Block sporting rifle sights

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
bcowern

Rolling Block sporting rifle sights

Post by bcowern »

Is there a standard dovetail size for the front and rear barrel sights on Rolling Block sporting rifles, and are they the same?

Is there a standard distance from the front end of the barrel to the front sight dovetail?

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards
Bradford
buckeyebill

Re: Rolling Block sporting rifle sights

Post by buckeyebill »

Hello:

Once you know exactly which version of the Remington Rolling Block rifle you have (military or civilian), your dovetail questions should be easy to answer. If you do not know exactly which gun you have, the folks at Rolling Block Parts can probably tell you which one you have. Then, either they, or the folks at Montana Vintage Arms can tell you the dovetail widths, depths, and distances apart. Most dovetail inserts/mounts have to be fitted, depending the age and other factors of your old rifle. Therefore, folks at Montana Vintage Arms make their dovetail inserts .003 larger than you request. This bit of extra metal to allow you to do that last bit of custom fitting (and possibly some touch-up cold bluing if you knick something in the process). Some rolling block versions have screw-on/bolt-on front and rear barrel sights to be attached to tapped barrels, while others have dovetails to be inserted into barrels (with an occasional set-screw to hold the dovetail in place). Some have no tapped holes or dovetail for a rear barrel sight at all because they were fitted only with a rear tang sight, etc, etc.

Two recommendations:

Contact www.rollingblockparts.com They see so many old Remington Rolling Blocks (including every type of military and civilian style) that they should be able to give you standard sizes for your dovetails.

Contact www.montanavintagearms.com They machine and manufacture dovetail and screw-on/bolt-on sight and scope mounts for all styles of antique and modern rolling block rifles. Extremely high accuracy machining. They should know exact dovetail tolerances and can even custom manufacture for you if your dovetail is not standard.

Hope this helps.
bcowern

Re: Rolling Block sporting rifle sights

Post by bcowern »

buckeyebill,

Thank you for your reply.

I know exactly which version of the Remington Rolling Block rifles I have. They are civilian sporting rifles marked E.Remington & Sons on the barrel. The sights are mounted in dovetails in the barrel. There are no screws in either the front or rear sights.

They are referred to as Remington No.1 Rolling Block Sporting Rifles by Roy Marcot in his book:

Remington Rolling Block Rifles, Carbines & Shotguns SPORTING & TARGET RIFLES.

I will try contacting rollingblockparts.com and montanavintagearms.com, as you suggested, to see if perhaps they will be able to answer my questions about Remington No.1 Sporting Rifle barrel sights.

Regards,
Bradford