Trying to find info on unmarked Rolling Block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
4570GOVT

Trying to find info on unmarked Rolling Block

Post by 4570GOVT »

I am trying to help a friend with identifying an unmarked RB and any thoughts on caliber. To start the rifle has no Remington manufacture info on it anywhere. All 3 of the barrel bands have spring retainers with the front band having a crown on the left side, the rear band has a "u" on the left side and the swivel on the middle band and butt swivel are marked"patent 1868". The barrel has a "B" on the left side 1/4 of an inch forward or the receiver. There is also a "P" on the top of the barrel under the rear barrel band.the rear sight is rear hinged with a "peep" style sight with 1-4 graduations. The sight slide has graduations of 5-8 and 10 above the peep. Stamped on the left side of the stock is "Miza Habana" in a circle and a 5 digit rack number. The tang numbers match with both being F80530. The barrel itself is 33 11/16 long from the front of the receiver.
Now the caliber? The bore slugs to .439-440. I have cast the chamber multiple times and get the same results. It is a bottle neck cartridge that is approximately 2.72" in length, the neck is .98" long with the body being 1.67" the rest is the shoulder. The neck diameter is .467-.468", the shoulder diameter is .515-.516" and the base diameter is .529-.530". Rim diameter is .64". I spent a considerable amount of time with Cartridges of the World and found several cartridges with one or more similarities but no clear matches. Unfortunately I do not have access to a digital camera at the moment but I hope I have covered enough to find out some info. Thanks.
ehull

Re: Trying to find info on unmarked Rolling Block

Post by ehull »

Going on your info, and without photos, your rifle is most likely a Remington Spanish Model in .43 Spanish caliber - very common. Thousands were shipped to Cuba in the 1860s-70s. The lettering in the circle may be short for "Maestranza Habana," or Havana Arsenal, which was the government's main ordnance office.
4570GOVT

Post by 4570GOVT »

Thanks, that was one of my initial thoughts, however other than the bore diameter none of the other cartridge dimensions work. The base and shoulder dimensions are significantly larger than 43 Spanish. The fact that it has a few Remington marks but the rest is clean also makes me wonder. Were RB's "scrubbed" or did they manufacture their own receivers with no markings? But the upper and lower tang numbers are consistent with known Remington practices and match. These issues are the reason for my request for assistance.
ehull

Post by ehull »

Time to get photos. Without them the type of frame isn't well described.
bpd303

Post by bpd303 »

4570GOVT wrote:Thanks, that was one of my initial thoughts, however other than the bore diameter none of the other cartridge dimensions work. The base and shoulder dimensions are significantly larger than 43 Spanish. The fact that it has a few Remington marks but the rest is clean also makes me wonder. Were RB's "scrubbed" or did they manufacture their own receivers with no markings? But the upper and lower tang numbers are consistent with known Remington practices and match. These issues are the reason for my request for assistance.
A lot of the Spanish Rolling Blocks were re-chambered to 43 Spanish Reformado. I have one that matches your friends, except for the stock markings.
Train for tomorrow for you never know what it will bring to the fight.