Another ID Please

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
admin
Site Admin

Re: Another ID Please

Post by admin »

Dick Hosmer wrote:Admin - I believe we have a troll here. See his meaningless reply to the 1885 Lee cutoff question below.
His account, his 11 posts are gone and his email is now blocked from re-registering.

Thanks, I honestly don't have the time to completely screen every post.
stanforth

Re: Another ID Please

Post by stanforth »

Floop wrote:[
And BTW, should you find that you really would like to restore your rifle (unlikely), it can be made shootable with a barrel liner or perhaps just rechambered, or even with the barrel drilled and re-rifled, and if done properly can handle modern cartridges like .38 Spc and .357 Mag. That's what we did with mine. It's chambered for .357 Mag and of course, shoots .38 Spc as well. But mine was re-heat treated and thoroughly reworked with a new small diameter centerfire firing pin installed in the breech block. The guy who did the metal work on mine was Jim Dubell at Delta Gun Shop in Colville, WA. He's a custom rifle builder and a rolling block expert.
Don't mess with that rifle. Shoot it in the calibre it was made for. I use a No.4 Rolling block in .32 rimfire with great success. Try this link for the necessary parts.No dies or press is required just a small hammer to seat the primers and bullets. http://www.hc-collection.com/
After trying a starter kit, don't bother with this suppliers bullet. I get a better group using .319 ball from a Lee mold. 1 inch group at 25 yards isn't bad.

Spend the money you save by not destroying a historic firearm by buying a modern .357 (or other) perproduction. It will be cheaper and you will have 2 guns, one of them a real remingon Rolling Block.
Good luck