Rolling Block extractor and spring

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
gerardus

Post by gerardus »

Hi everybody,

I just inherited a rolling block that belonged to my great-grandfather. The rifle has been stored in a basement for decades.
I started to take it apart, clean it and remove rust. So far so good, the barrel is somewhat pitted just forward the chamber but may be shootable once i finish cleaning it.
There are two things I don't know how to fix/disassemble:
- One of the springs is broken. It's the most forward of the three springs in the trigger guard. Does anybody know where I can find a replacement?
- The extractor is of the sliding type, with a little retainer screw on the side of the action. Once the retaining screw is removed, the extractor moves a little sideways (or up&down) but does not slide outwards. Is there something I'm missing? I don't want to brake it, and I don't know how to remove it.
Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it's not my native language. I hope it makes sense, anyway. :)

Best regards,

Gerard.
gerardus

Re: Rolling Block extractor and spring

Post by gerardus »

Ok, I managed to remove the extractor without breaking it.
Since the extractor was fully inside even with the rolling breech opened, there must be something wrong.
How is this supposed to work?
Is this extractor broken or missing some part?

(I attached a picture of the extractor.)
extractor.jpg
extractor.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 3261 times
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Your extractor is broken, there is a small piece that extends down from the bottom at the front of the extractor that fits into the slot on the left side of the breech block. When you open the breech block it pulls the extractor forward. Your best bet of finding one is to check with Dixie Gun Works or S&S Firearms, you can find both of them on the internet.
Hope that helps.

Have A Good Day,
Matt
gerardus

Post by gerardus »

Thanks a lot, Matt. I'll have a look at both sites.
AbrahamOt

Post by AbrahamOt »

I looked up the Tesla tubes and they seem to be hard to find. Where did you get them? Thanks