7mm Mauser cartridge question

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
lane47

7mm Mauser cartridge question

Post by lane47 »

My Remington rolling block Model 1902, in 7mm Mauser, has a flat chamber face.
Would the ammunition for this be a rimmed or rimless cartridge? Ammo to Go offers both.
I would appreciate any input in this regard.
thanks
frnkeore

Re: 7mm Mauser cartridge question

Post by frnkeore »

The 1902 and 1897 are chambered for the rimless 7mm.

Frank
vulture

Re: 7mm Mauser cartridge question

Post by vulture »

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question, I'm slow out of the gate on many things these days. I was going to tell you that my 7mm rolling block also has a flat faced breach and fires the 7x57 rimless cartridge, and does a very good job of it as well. There have been many comments on the net noting that the chambers and head space are not what they should be on these rifles and the cases can get stretched bad on firring. Mine do stretch but as this is the only 7mm I own it really doesn't make much difference. It's not enough to weaken the case too much and I just neck size them and they are perfect for this particular rifle. It's been said that you can make "longer" cases using .30-06 brass and not have the stretching problem and I might go that route if I thought my 7mm brass was being deformed to the point of being not reusable but so far that is not the case. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your rifle as much as I do mine, now you need to get one or two more in some of the obsolete calibers that are out there.