NYS Model #5 Rolling Block Test Rifle

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
oldremguy

NYS Model #5 Rolling Block Test Rifle

Post by oldremguy »

In George Layman's book The Military Rolling Block Rifle, revised fourth edition on page 102, he states that in 1897 a very small number of No. 5 Remington's were purchased by the State of New York for testing. Ironically in lieu of the national service caliber of .30 U.S. Krag, this lot was chambered for the 7mm Mauser round and was given a thorough evaluation by New York's various militia units located throughout the state. Those rifles received for issuing in the statewide tests were marked across the receiver rings with regional stampings that indicate their destinations. One such rifle of this scarce group of No. 5s that has been viewed by the author was stamped "NIAGARA"

My question is that I have one of these rifles in my collection that is stamped NIAGARA, this rifle is in mint condition, with 100 percent case coloring and about ninety-five percent bluing on the barrel, does anyone else had any information to verify that these guns were indeed trial guns for the State of New York. Also does anybody have one of these guns in their collection that have been stamped with another region destination on it. I live in upstate New York not too far from Niagara County could these rifles have been shipped to the arsenals in that county for testing or possibly Fort Niagara. Any help in finding out more about these rifles would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
Roy_Marcot

Remington Smokeless Rifle M1897...

Post by Roy_Marcot »

Dear Matt,

Did I see your rifle on display a few years ago at an eastern gun show? As I recall, the display included full information about the New York State unit outfitted to fight in the Spanish-American war... outfitted with Remington Model 1897 military rifles chambered for the 7mm Spanish Mauser cartridge. The display stated that the unit was formed too late to see action in the war. I can't recall, but the ship outfitted to carry the New York troops may have been called the "Niagra".

And by the way... Remington smokeless rolling block rifles and carbines are erroneously called No.5 rifles. This is incorrect. The true No.5 rifle was the sporting rifle chambered for smokeless cartridges, not military guns. I'll put this mis-nomer to rest when my book(s) on the rolling blocks are published.

All my best,

Roy Marcot
Remington Historian
Gene M

Post by Gene M »

Matt,

Jerry Janzen in his book Bayonets of the Remington Cartridge Period on p. 109 has a short paragraph on the USS Niagara outfitted by wealthy New Yorkers and the stamping Niagara on the barrel and leather goods.

Gene Myszkowski
Author - The Remington-Lee Rifle