Remington Double Barrel Percussion Rifle

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
COVEJEEPSXJ

Remington Double Barrel Percussion Rifle

Post by COVEJEEPSXJ »

Hello I was wondering if anyone could give me any information about a rifle I have. The rifle is a double barrel percussion with dual hammers. On both sides of the lock it is stamped Remington and has a scene with a hunter and quails. The butt plate is solid silver and on one side of the stock is a silver star and the other has a silver squirrel. The stock also has cheek pieces on both sides of the stock.
Any information you can give me regarding this rifle would be greatly appreciated. I am not concerned with value as much as I am with history and when it was made.

Thanks In Advance,
NICK
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

Sounds like you have a nice piece. The gun was not made by Remington but rather some gunsmith using Remington obtained parts. The butt plate is more likely German Silver and probably a Remington part. The barrels may also be Remington and may be marked as such on the underside. The locks are definitely Remington either made by them or imported and Remington Stamped. Many times the gunsmith will put his name on the top of the barrels, yours apparently didn't. I would guess the gun was made just prior to the Civil War. Jay Huber RSA
COVEJEEPSXJ

Post by COVEJEEPSXJ »

Jay,
Thanks for the information. I had done some research and I figured that the "forged" parts where Remington made but I was not sure about the others. One thing that made me think that the whole gun was produced by the Remingtons was that the stock had cheek pieces on both sides of the stock, and from what I had read that was common to Remington produced pieces.
Are these guns common? I am not very framiliar with older Remingtons but I can say that I have never seen a double barrel rifle with Remington parts.
Also I know that guns can not be accurately appraised without seeing them in person but for a purpose of insurance what is an accurate estimate of it's worth?

Thanks Again,
NICK
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

These guns are not too common. I have seen maybe 6 in my Remington collecting days. I have never heard that Remington was known for dual cheek pieces. We do not evaluate guns since we can not physically hold them. I suggest you look at a copy of FLATDERMANS Guide 8th edition in the Remington section and read the story o the early half stock rifles and shotguns. Jay Huber RSA
COVEJEEPSXJ

Re: Remington Double Barrel Percussion Rifle

Post by COVEJEEPSXJ »

Bumping this OLD thread to the top. Any more information would be appreciated! Thanks!