DBL D

1867 US NAVY CARBINE

Post by DBL D »

I HAVE ACQUIRED A NAVY CARBINE I READ THERE WERE 5000 MADE FOR GOVT
BUT THEY DIDNT TAKE ALL
CARBINES I READ THAT IN 1880 79 CARBINES WERE
SOLD AT PUBLIC AUCTION
WERE CARBINES SERIAL #S
0-5000 OR DID #S FOLLOW IN LINE WITH 33,000 RIFLES BOUGHT BY GOVT.
WERE SOME RECIEVER TANGS HAND STAMPED ?
oldremguy

1867 Navy Carbine

Post by oldremguy »

The Navy carbine would of had the serial number stamped on the left side of the barrel, just above the wood of the forearm and just in front of the reciever. The serial numbers should of been from 0-5000. The Navy cabine that I have in my collect has a serial number in the 4000 range, I also have a barrel that I bought from Dixie Gun Works years ago that also had a serial number in the 4000 range. On the left side of the upper and lower tang on my cabine is stamped a lot number in the 39000 range.

Post by Guest »

Dear DBL D:

OldRemGuy gave you good info on the Springfield-Remington Model 1867 Navy Carbine.

E. Remington & Sons manufactured 5,000 receivers and mated them to carbine length barrels in 1867-68 and shipped them to the National Armory at Springfield, Massachusetts to be completed.

The correct serial number (as OldRemGuy stated) is stamped on the left side of the barrel, just forward of the receiver. Numbers stamped on the top and bottom tangs (seen only when the stock is removed) are manufacturing production numbers, used by Remington's inside contractors to keep inventory of parts manufactured within the Ilion plant.

Many of these carbines (chambered for .50-45 centerfire ammunition) were put aboard U.S. Navy ships and used to arm U.S. Marines and boarding parties (circa 1868 through the 1880s). These carbines were used by Marines in the first Korean War (1870) and there are photographs showing Marines holding them.

Hartley & Graham and Francis Bannermans purchased most of these carbines when they became surplused by the Bureau of Ordnance. A great deal of them had the barrels removed and replaced by .45-70 (and other caliber) barrels and sold post 1900. Of course, these would no longer have serial numbers stamped on the barrels.

Hope this helps.

Roy Marcot
Remington Historian