Rolling Block Question (or 2)

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Sierrita Slim

Rolling Block Question (or 2)

Post by Sierrita Slim »

Serial number question: #5 action with 3 sets of numbers (4 digits each), one set on the right SIDE of the receiver's tang, one set is on the left SIDE of the gaurd plate, the last set of numbers is on the right SIDE of the gaurd plate. All sets of numbers are upside-down. Are any of these numbers the serial number?

Spring Question: Is there a lighter trigger spring available somewhere? Thought I'd ask before manufacturing one myself.
tejn

No. 5 R/B

Post by tejn »

The No. 5's were not serial numbered. The numbers you found are assembly numbers. The exception that I am aware of would be the Mexican contract rifles. They were serial numbered on the bottom of the lower tang. Numrich (Gun Parts Corp.) current catalog lists trigger springs for the No. 1 R/B. I'm not absoultely positive but I believe they would work. I purchased several many years ago but have never had to replace a No. 5 spring; only No. 1's.
Sierrita Slim

thanks

Post by Sierrita Slim »

Thank you kindly.

Post by Guest »

Dear Sierrita Slim:

Calling your military rolling block rifle a "No.5" is incorrect. I don't know where this error began, but true No.5s were Remington's rolling block sporting and target rifles intended for smokeless powder cartridges (.30-40 Govt, .303 British, etc.)

The military arms you are referring to are Remington Model 1897 rifles and carbines... Model 1901 rifles & carbines... or Model 1914 rifles.

Now to your original question...

tejn was correct in stating that the majority of these military rifles and carbines were not serial numbered. The multi-digit numbers stamped on the left side of the tangs (hidden with the stock in place) are manufacturing control numbers, used to keep track of receivers. tejn was also correct in stating that smokeless powder rifles and carbines intended for the Mexican Government were serial numbered (probably at the government's request).

The best (and only) book available on the subject was written by George Layman a few years back. This soft-cover book may be out-of-print, but I've seen it at gun shows. Look it up on Amazon.com under the author's name.

Glad to help.

Roy Marcot
Remington Historian