Remington Model 51 .380 chrome or nickel plate finish?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
Georgia Guy

Remington Model 51 .380 chrome or nickel plate finish?

Post by Georgia Guy »

I have a Model 51 in .380 cal that I bought 40+ years ago, probably at a gun show. S/N is PA440XX and I presume manufactured somewhere in or around early 1920's. The pistol was either chrome or nickel plated (don't know how to determine which) when I bought it back whenever.

My question is this. I've never seen another 51 finished this way and was wondering if this was an option when it was manufactured?
Attachments
P1010078 (Large).JPG
P1010078 (Large).JPG (175.31 KiB) Viewed 9964 times
Last edited by Georgia Guy on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Remington Model 51 .380 chrome or nickel plate finish?

Post by admin »

very late 1922
officiator

Post by officiator »

Georgia Guy,

I also have a chrome or nickel Remington 51 because as a collector of guns I have come to recognize the Remington 51 as one of the finest carry weapons ever produced. Right now I am at my recreational home and do not have access to my weapon collection but tomorrow night I will check the serial number of my silver colored Remington to see if my number is close to yours in the hope that the factory produced some and the numbers were in sequence. Several years ago I asked the very same question that you now pose and was told that no one has ever heard of factory produced silver colored 51s. It is interesting/exciting that you have one as well.

Tom Sporar in Washington State

Cell (253 678-5057
azasadny

Post by azasadny »

Beautiful gun!!
Remington Model 51 owner
Remfan

Post by Remfan »

I worked on a nickel Remington that walked out of the factory in someone's lunch box. It made it about four blocks, where it resided for 70 years in a cigar box full of spare 51 parts. Some of the spare parts were nickel...magazine, backstrap, pins. It was a nice looking gun.
Jrpmccoy

Post by Jrpmccoy »

I too have a Remington nickel PA32XXX, sure looks factory to me as there is no trace of plating over wear (internal or external). Is there any record of the ability to order a custom M 51 with such a finish?
sonofahbuck

Post by sonofahbuck »

Sept.12, 2014 Hi, I too have what I believe to be a factory nickle Remington 51 .380 cal. it's a four digit ser. No. gun. It doesn't have the cal. stamped on the barrel, seen thru the ejection port,and it doesn't say Remington on the frame, only Remington UMC on the grips and the nine serrations on the slide as all the early 51s did. The lettering and serration on top of the slide is clear and sharp, showing no evidence of being refinished at any time.The bottom of the magazine also appears to be nickled with a gloss finish and the letter U, also sharp and clear. The sides of the magazine appear also to be nickle,with a satin finish. From it's condition I would guess it spent the last eighty or so years in someones sock drawer. I would rate the condition at 98%. Has any more information come to light on nickle 51s ?? Please give us a post. Thanks, D.y
aardq

Post by aardq »

There might be some factory nickel M-51s, but only one that I'm aware of, that is confirmed as factory nickel. The edges on the gun in the original post appear rounded, not sharp and crisp, so I suspect that it's a re-finish.

Having said the above, I am of the opinion that a few nickel guns must have left the factory, but how many, and how to prove that a nickel 51 is a factory finish? We may never know.
officiator

Post by officiator »

I'm embarrassed to see that my last post about a chrome/nickle Remington 51 was in 2010 and at that time I indicated that I would see what serial number it had. Mine has serial number 499XX with Remington Trade Mark on the right side and an anchor at the base of the back strap. Presently I own eight of the 51s all in 380 except one. I have some parts and an extra 32 barrel that were probably acquired at gun shows years ago. Haven't shot one in many years but tomorrow will run several magazines of ammo through the chrome/nickle 51 and a P38 that I recently came to own through a trade. I carry daily but would be reluctant to count on a weapon almost 100 years old like the 51. My carry gun is a Rohrbaugh 9mm, but it isn't anywhere as attractive as a Remington 51. The Rohrbaugh is one of the most dependable weapons made anywhere at any time in my opinion and I consider it a single premium life insurance policy.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

officiator wrote:I'm embarrassed to see that my last post about a chrome/nickle Remington 51 was in 2010 and at that time I indicated that I would see what serial number it had. Mine has serial number 499XX with Remington Trade Mark on the right side and an anchor at the base of the back strap. Presently I own eight of the 51s all in 380 except one. I have some parts and an extra 32 barrel that were probably acquired at gun shows years ago. Haven't shot one in many years but tomorrow will run several magazines of ammo through the chrome/nickle 51 and a P38 that I recently came to own through a trade. I carry daily but would be reluctant to count on a weapon almost 100 years old like the 51. My carry gun is a Rohrbaugh 9mm, but it isn't anywhere as attractive as a Remington 51. The Rohrbaugh is one of the most dependable weapons made anywhere at any time in my opinion and I consider it a single premium life insurance policy.
I'm a big fan of Sig's so I'm used to expensive guns but the Rohrbaugh is just to slippery for me....
Georgia Guy

Post by Georgia Guy »

officiator wrote:I'm embarrassed to see that my last post about a chrome/nickle Remington 51 was in 2010 and at that time I indicated that I would see what serial number it had. Mine has serial number 499XX with Remington Trade Mark on the right side and an anchor at the base of the back strap. Presently I own eight of the 51s all in 380 except one. I have some parts and an extra 32 barrel that were probably acquired at gun shows years ago. Haven't shot one in many years but tomorrow will run several magazines of ammo through the chrome/nickle 51 and a P38 that I recently came to own through a trade. I carry daily but would be reluctant to count on a weapon almost 100 years old like the 51. My carry gun is a Rohrbaugh 9mm, but it isn't anywhere as attractive as a Remington 51. The Rohrbaugh is one of the most dependable weapons made anywhere at any time in my opinion and I consider it a single premium life insurance policy.
Officiator, been waiting for you to get back to us. Almost gave up after 5 years. :lol:
Bigbird

Post by Bigbird »

Hi everyone, well you can add mine to the list of nickel, chrome 51's PA24086...what year is this one ????and a gun Smith's inspected it , did not want to give it back , mine is at least 95% every edge smooth he says it appears to be a factory fibish, has the anchor proof stamp ...what is value ? Thanks....no pictures my files are too large.,