Affordable, shooter grade Model 51s?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
Plain Old Dave

Affordable, shooter grade Model 51s?

Post by Plain Old Dave »

The Model 51 is a bucket list gun. My EDC is an R51; the hesitation blowback mechanism is fascinating. Before the R51 was readily available, it wasn't hard to find honest old guns. Excellent mechanically, but serious cosmetic issues. Found 2 within about a month of each other in pawn shops in Maryville and Alcoa, Tennessee and the expensive one was $350. I thought that was a LOT of money for a 380 at the time. The other one had almost no finish left and wood grips. $250.

I have been looking for a shooter grade M51 for some time, but they seem to have disappeared. Found a stripped frame and slide for 150 asking; could that be pieced together affordably? If not, leads for affordable 51s are appreciated.
aardq

Re: Affordable, shooter grade Model 51s?

Post by aardq »

Hi Dave,

The model 51s are out there, and they show up all over the place, but you probably won't find another one for $350. Maybe $500. If the 350 gun is still there and in decent shape, you might reconsider getting it. Check the gun shows and the guns shops and pawn shops.

The frame and slide will fit together, but not worth it because of the missing parts. It will take a lot longer to find the parts than to find a shooter, and if you can find all the parts, it will cost you a lot more than a complete gun. Grips can be found, and there are repo grips, but the metal mounting plate is all but impossible to find.

They are a fun gun and very easy shooting. Good luck in your search.
Dan
Plain Old Dave

Post by Plain Old Dave »

Update. Found an honest old 51 online in KY. As I'm in TN, we'll just have to see if the seller is willing to ship to my gun shop. Free transfer for employees.
Plain Old Dave

Post by Plain Old Dave »

Another update. Last one fell through. New shooter grade gun, 9 groove slide, in PA... Is breech block cracking THAT major an issue?