REM 51 380 breech block with minor crack at left rear at curve

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
Steven Swope

REM 51 380 breech block with minor crack at left rear at curve

Post by Steven Swope »

HI Ya Members:

??? 4 u all...... Anyone else tried this repair before ?????

Is a repair possible / feasible / cost effective / cost prohibitive if this crack is not completely through the rear section of the breech bolt. ??? It's not over halfway down the side of the metal outside and inside the breech bolt.

I added the red crayon line show in the breech bolt pic, shown here. the location and length of the crack are close to scale, THE WIDTH OF THE RED CRAYON LINE IS NOT TO SCALE. !!!

Is it a fair thought that the repair costs ( TIG weld job or another way of fixing the crack ) would maybe be kinda $$$ to complete and no guarantee that a good repair job, if completed, would prevent any further breakage of the existing crack, another one happening again, in another area of the breech bolt ?? Or is their something else I'm forgetting ???

Anyone else have another possible/realistic repair suggestion. ??? Would like to hear it !!!!!

Tks in advance.

Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year in 2019 !!!!
Attachments
Rem 51 breechbolt 380 wo extractor shows crack location.jpg
Rem 51 breechbolt 380 wo extractor shows crack location.jpg (137.86 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
Last edited by Steven Swope on Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aardq

Re: REM 51 380 breech block with minor crack at left rear at curve

Post by aardq »

Hi Steve,

Too much work and money to fix it. Get another another one. I'll suggest Marv Adams, he specialized in Model 51 parts. This is the last number I have for him, but it's several years old.
Good luck,
Daniel
419 - 230 - 7948
Steven Swope

Re: REM 51 380 breech block with minor crack at left rear at curve

Post by Steven Swope »

DANIEL :

O.K. TKS 4 THE LEAD

I'LL TRY HIM THIS THURS.

TRIED THE SUPPLIED NUMBER YOU POSTED HERE, JUST ABOUT ALL DAY ON, THURSDAY 27 DEC. ..... ALWAYS BUSY OR LINE DOESN'T WORK/RING !!!

SEEMS MARV IS ON PERMANENT VACATION OR DOESN'T PAY HIS PHONE BILL, WHICH ONE OF THESE IS THE MAIN CAUSE/OR LACK OF ABILITY TO REACH HIM, I DON'T KNOW ??? !!!!

YEP, YOUR CONTACT INFO. IS A COUPLE OF YEARS OLD AND JUST WORTHLESS.

THANKS JUST THE SAME, ANYWAY............