Greetings and Model 51 question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
StLouisJoe

Greetings and Model 51 question

Post by StLouisJoe »

Greetings to the board members. I recently picked up my second Model 51 and it triggered (sorry) me to revisit an issue that I originally posted on gunboards last fall. The recommendation was that I post my question here, but I got distracted by some bright, shiny object.

Anyway, I picked up a 51 locally that is missing a pin or plug that I've been unable to find on any parts list or schematic. The cautionary tales about disassembling 51s are well known so I've been loath to do anything beyond a field strip. The missing plug/pin is highlighted in the attached photo. Any advice/guidance about it's purpose, whether it is safe to operate the pistol without it, where to find one, etc. would be appreciated.

Joe

Steven Swope

Re: Greetings and Model 51 question

Post by Steven Swope »

Joe :

It's a receiver pin/plug which was part of the asssembly final steps used to hold the receiver/lower when the part was finished/milled for the finished slide rails and trigger installation.

Usually left in the frame and still with the frame when it has been stripped like yours is.

Find one and consider yourself lucky...find a local machine shop and have a replacement made.

Never seen one for sale or just missed if and when it was for sale.
StLouisJoe

Post by StLouisJoe »

Thanks, Steven. Now that I have a second Model 51, I suppose that I could remove the pin/plug from that one for the machine shop to use as a guide for the new one. This part is so poorly documented that I'm a little fearful of removing it from the second gun. Actually, I'm looking at it right now, and I'm at a loss as to how to remove it without disassembling the lower.
Steven Swope

Post by Steven Swope »

Joe :

Flat tip scewdriver and work it out slowly.... try a little gentile pressure.. it was a pressed in part.
StLouisJoe

Post by StLouisJoe »

Thanks again, Steven. I've not been able to remove it, but will keep at it. Joe
Steven Swope

Post by Steven Swope »

Joe :

Check other suggested method involved for removal , sent to you.

Steve
StLouisJoe

Post by StLouisJoe »

I'll give it a try this weekend. Your advice is really appreciated, Steven. Thanks again!