Yes, another 51 question by a new guy....

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
NotABigDeal

Yes, another 51 question by a new guy....

Post by NotABigDeal »

I promise, I'm not a one question and disappear guy, hehe.

I've been searching far and wide for this answer and can't find it. Then I stumbled on this fantastic site. If nobody can help me directly then I bet someone here can point me in the right direction.

I received a 51 as a "gimme" in a multi-gun deal a while back, (26XXX). It's in okay shape and is missing a grip, but that's not the main issue. Nine slide serrations, unmarked barrel, Remington marked frame, and marked magazine.

The gun is assembled with the backstrap safety removed. You can see my issue. How can I disassemble it? Everything I've read says the backstrap safety must be pressed. Can I do that manually with the slide already attached? I want to take it all the way down to see if I'm missing any other parts. Barrel pin and both the large and small pins are removed from the frame as well.

I am interested in original grips WITH plates if available. And yes I know they are costly. Thanks.

Deal
Steven Swope

Re: Yes, another 51 question by a new guy....

Post by Steven Swope »

Welcome !!!

Pics of your 51 ( caliber ?? ) should be taken and posted here, if you know how to do that.

Might be useful to determine what your stage of problem is.

For now.. yes original grips are expensive, try to find a broken set with the backing plate still attached and go with a repo set as replacements until an original set complete and in GOOD condition shows up for sale..

Keep us posted.!!!
NotABigDeal

Post by NotABigDeal »

Pistol is a .380, and I'll try and get a picture up.

Deal
NotABigDeal

Post by NotABigDeal »

Picture attempt....

Deal
Steven Swope

Post by Steven Swope »

Deal :

Looks like step one... Remove the slide/barrel/breechblock ( if still there ) all in one piece, gives you viewing access to the frame,, safety looks like it's in the incorrect position.

After removal of the slide/barrel/breechblock ( if still there ) all in one piece, move manual safety lever into an up position, setting level with frame, pull trigger and your mainspring rod should drop down and out of place.

Let us know of your progress !!
NotABigDeal

Post by NotABigDeal »

The issue is, well I guess it is, since the backstrap safety cannot be pressed, the barrel doesn't move. Am I incorrect in this thought?

Slide moves freely, but the barrel will not "twist" out....

Deal

p.s. Maybe I'm WAY off, hehe.
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

To remove the slide, you have to move it to the rear, then grasp the barrel and pull the barrel and slide forward.
I hope this helps.
Steven Swope

Post by Steven Swope »

Deal :

This pistol barrel doesn't twist out like a Colt 25 32 or 380 caliber, " M " or " N " Models do...

If I remember correctly.. a few of the early drawings ( before being favored to be made as you have ) and a very few of the manufactured prototype models had this feature, but regular production models did not have this " twist the barrel to remove " feature.

Like ChuckD states in his reply to you... " move slide to the rear , then grasp the barrel and pull the barrel and slide forward. "

Viewing this disassembly guide with photos included may help.....

http://stevespages.com/pdf/remington_51.pdf
NotABigDeal

Post by NotABigDeal »

I have been humbled by the 51, only to be brought back by my new found friends here.

Thanks for your help and patience in educating me on this. It is much appreciated.

Now, the next things....

The safety can be spun freely all the way around. Doesn't seem right. Something broke or missing perhaps? When I pull the trigger, yes I put a magazine in hehe, it doesn't go forward on its own power. I have to pull/shake it. It will stay forward, but seems "loose" with forward and backward motion. It will move regardless of the safety position.

Suggestions? And I'm not afraid of complete disassembly if that is what it takes to figure it out.

I have decided this is one odd duck....

Deal
Steven Swope

Post by Steven Swope »

Deal :

Unless you personally have done a COMPLETE disassembly of one of these before...my advice to you is... DON'T!!!

If you do get your Rem 51 completely broken down into each part..and then can't remember how to put it ALL back together..or have a lost part due to the disassembly process.... A shoebox Rem 51 is what you will have.

Another RSA member had his Rem 51 reworked/refinished by his gunsmith... and it looks good and now functions / works as it should,, a couple of emails to him regarding who did his rebuild,,, still GO unanswered
NotABigDeal

Post by NotABigDeal »

How can I ever get experience with this if I don't try? I have $0 in it. As it sits, it doesn't work. In several parts in a box it still won't work. No harm done, hehe.

Is there something else crazy about the inner workings of it or something that separates it from being at least similar to other auto pistols? I've completely disassembled many guns.

I'm leaning toward disassembly. I'll think on it....

Deal
Steven Swope

Post by Steven Swope »

Deal :

If you do the complete disassembly and re -assembly and get it working again.. and it shoots...then let us know....

GOOD LUCK !!!

That factory parts and semi disassembly and re –assembly guide that was sent to you doesn't fully go into a complete " parts off frame " breakdown
Steven Swope

Post by Steven Swope »

Deal :

You stated in your first post to not be a post and run kinda member

Seems that has not happened.

Thanks for that.
NotABigDeal

Post by NotABigDeal »

I know it's been two years but the pistol still sits as it was in the picture. It has been put on the way back burner, hehe. Been super busy with AR projects and such that I know I can hammer out, hehe.

Sorry for the disappearance but I don't know that I have anything intelligent to contribute, hehe.

I'll keep browsing.

Deal
Steven Swope

Post by Steven Swope »

DEAL :

HAPPY 2019 TO YOU AND YOURS !!!...

A QUICK STATUS REPORT ON YOUR REM 51 PISTOL REBUILDING PROJECT ......

IT'S STILL IN THE SAME SHAPE, NOW DONE AND IN USE, STILL ON THE VERY "BACK BURNER" ????

INQUIRING MINDS, HERE, WANT TO KNOW !!!

STEVE