XP-100 ??

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
nimrod1

XP-100 ??

Post by nimrod1 »

I'm looking at purchasing an XP-100 in .221 Fireball. I know nothing about this round. Is there factory ammo available? What do I need to be looking for when checking out this firearm? I gave it a quick once over, and it looked to be in real nice shape. The XP's are a pretty neat handgun, and I wouldn't mind having one to take to the range once in awhile.

Serial number of the one I'm looking at is B7512xxx. Any info on date of manufacture, possible value, and anything to look out for would be greatly appreciated.
remington600

Re: XP-100 ??

Post by remington600 »

The XP-100 is a pretty neat pistol as well as the 221. Yes you can still find factory loaded ammo. It was reintroduced several years ago in the Remington model 700. What I would look for is any modifications. I wouldn't buy one if it had been modified in any way. Second is the rib on the barrel cracked. They are prone to cracking right behind the front sight. And are the original sights still there.

Billy Smith
restosteve

Post by restosteve »

When I was young, I had an XP-100. It was a Fajen stocked .221 fireball. Unfortunately, I sold it and swore that someday I'd get another.

About two years ago I found and bought one, and the story will give you something to watch out for. I found it at one of my favorite gunshops, looking to be in mint condition. I took it home, mounted my old Burris 7x pistol scope, and off to the range I went.

At the range I put a round in it and closed the bolt. Pulled the trigger and click. I tried a couple more times with the same result. Then, when the bolt wouldn't eject the round my heart sunk.

Back at the gunshop, we figured out that it had been rechambered in .223. There was no marking of the caliber change on the gun anywhere. I was really bummed out by what happened and since I already have enough .223s, I didn't want the XP in that chambering. I have a Mod 700 LVSF in .221 fireball, which I love, and want an XP in the same caliber.

Anyway, I was refunded my money and another fellow bought it and is happy. I'm just telling you this so you know that many of the old XPs were rechambered. Like I said, there were no markings of the new caliber on this gun. And Remington did the work!
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Just curious how you know Remington did the rechamber work??

Billy Smith
restosteve

Post by restosteve »

remington600 wrote:Just curious how you know Remington did the rechamber work??

Billy Smith
Before the gunshop put it back up for sale they talked to the owner. (It was on sale on consignment) He said he was the one who sent it back to Remington to have it rerchambered. He just didn't tell the gunshop about it when he brought it in to sell.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Sounds fishy! I don't believe Remington would send it from the factory with out the stamping. Waaaay to much of a risk and liability.

Billy Smith
restosteve

Post by restosteve »

Very true. He could say anything, now that you mention it. The shop owner was the one who told me. It didn't make sense to me either.....Remington not marking it.
nimrod1

Post by nimrod1 »

:shock:
This past weekend I had the chance to shoot this gun. It is a 221 Fireball. It functions flawlessly. I can out shoot the owner all day. This gun will end up in my safe!! :D