Forend screw size and thread for 35 Remington 760 Gamemaster

construct30

Forend screw size and thread for 35 Remington 760 Gamemaster

Post by construct30 »

I have a 35 Remington Gamemaster 760. I bought it used at a great price. The forend was loose so I decided to remove the screw and see what was up. Getting the screw out was horrible. Someone stuck a wrong screw in part way; the reason it was loose. The end "nut" came out of the action tube. I had to cut the screw end off to get it out of the stock. I bought a couple of new screws. They thread very nicely into the "nut" (action tube end) so the thread are not stripped luckily. I need to screw the end back into the action tube. The action tube has the crimps to hold the end in so it threads in easily until it gets to the dents. I would like a nut to thread onto the screw to use as a jam nut to make a tool to thread the end cap back on. None of the hardware stores have a nut with that fine of threads. What size screw and thread is the forend screw on this model so I can order a nut? Thank You.
construct30

Re: Forend screw size and thread for 35 Remington 760 Gamemaster

Post by construct30 »

I fixed my issue. I decided to just try putting a couple of over sized nuts on the screw with a washer against the tube end. I used that rig to drive the end down into the action tube threads. It worked and I was able to unscrew it without the end backing out. I figured I would need a jam nut so I could get it loose, but it worked without that in my case. Forend stock is back on and tight. Nice feeling gun, I can't wait to go to the gun club and shoot it. I am glad I was able to save the end cap, it seems the only way to get that would be to buy the entire action tube. It does not seem to be an item that can be purchased by itself. I am glad the person that put the wrong screw in did not damage the threads on it. The screw was a cheap fix at $7.00 for the value of the gun.