Remington Model 31

vancemack

Remington Model 31

Post by vancemack »

Hello all...I have a Remington Model 31 that has been passed down from generation to generation. The barrel was damaged many years ago and was sawed off. The weapon is in otherwise great shape. Probably hasnt been fired in 40 years.

Is there a barrel manufacturer that can be relied on to provide a good replacement barrel option? Seems my choices now are part it out, replace the stock and use it as a pistol grip only firearm, or hang on to it as is.

Thoughts?
Wulfman

Re: Remington Model 31

Post by Wulfman »

vancemack wrote:Hello all...I have a Remington Model 31 that has been passed down from generation to generation. The barrel was damaged many years ago and was sawed off. The weapon is in otherwise great shape. Probably hasnt been fired in 40 years.

Is there a barrel manufacturer that can be relied on to provide a good replacement barrel option? Seems my choices now are part it out, replace the stock and use it as a pistol grip only firearm, or hang on to it as is.

Thoughts?
How long/short is the barrel after it was shortened?
Plain or vent rib barrel?
If they did a decent job when they shortened the barrel, I'd just use it as is. If the end (muzzle) is "rough", you might be able to smooth it up or have a gunsmith do that for you. It might be difficult to find a replacement barrel for it and end up costing more than it's worth.
Lots of folks are keeping shorter barreled shotguns for home defense these days, too.

Den