Remington Collection Inventory

jfl52

Remington Collection Inventory

Post by jfl52 »

Does anyone know if the Remington Collection inventory list was published or is available for review. I have an old cira 1830's breach loading, tube fire shot gun that my grandfather acquired from the collection. The brass tag was removed and I would like to see any information possible on its history.
ehull

Re: Remington Collection Inventory

Post by ehull »

Some members have such a list. What is/was the tag number? That's essential. Also, what markings and/or makers name is on the gun?
jfl52

Post by jfl52 »

I don't remember the tag # I believe from the best of my memory that it was less than 300. The shotgun is a Robert shotgun. On the breech it says "Robert brevetted a Paris". I would like to see the list to find it and any info that might be there. Also to see the tag number. Do you know if this list would be available , I am a member.

Thanks
jfl52

Post by jfl52 »

Does anyone know the answer about the availability of the inventory list? Or would some one have an email address of someone I could ask?

Thanks
ehull

Post by ehull »

There are several versions of the inventory, and each consists of many, many pages. If you would post the exact inventory number of your "shotgun," and as good a description as you can provide, then I'm sure someone here can look up the number. From the marking you give, your rifle is an early French breechloader; search the internet for the patents of Joseph Alexandre Robert, 1831 and 1835. Note that if your arm has a full stock, the fact that it is smoothbore only means that it was a musket which was made before the era of rifled military arms.
jfl52

Post by jfl52 »

Thanks for the response and info. My grandfather acquired two longarms from the Remington collection. Unfortunately my father removed the brass tags years ago.
One of them an M1899 was tag # 183. I know this by matching the serial number to the tag number that I found in the old inventory list from Gene Myszkowski's book "The Remington - Lee Rifle.
This shotgun was the second long Arm my Grandfather acquired from the collection, I would like to compile as much history as possible on this shotgun, being a very early model breachloader (tubefire) it is very old and a very interesting interesting piece.
On the Breech are the words Fusil Robert and Brevette a Paris. Inside it is labeled Cabre 26. I attached some pictures.
The fact that it was in the Remington collection is very noteworthy and a big part of this Shotguns History. I realize that the list may be hard to read and I would not want to ask anyone to do the research as I am sure it would be a big inconvieniece.
That is why I ask if it is possible for me to see the list so that I may do the research.

Thanks
Joe Lawler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ehull

Post by ehull »

Beautiful shotgun! Must have been expensive in its day. That is the 1831&35 patent. French patents are searchable on the Internet.
Unfortunately, with the tag removed there is no physical tie in to the Remington collection. Only if you have the original bill of sale, including a detailed description, can you show provenance. Word of mouth, family history, is nice if you keep it in your family.
Perhaps someone here can help with the inventory.