Can anyone identify this?

Earthdog

Can anyone identify this?

Post by Earthdog »

Hello!

I purchased a lot of gun books at an auction yesterday and the plate in the image was included in the lot.

It measures 9.5" by 2.5" & appears to be made from the same metal guns would be made from- weighs about 10 ounces.

I first thought it might be some sort of template for engravings, but not being able to find anything online and with the "Goose & Duck, etc" & "Varied Backgrounds" etched into the 1 side, I then thought it might be some sort of salesman sample.

Anyone have an idea on what this is?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
remington600

Re: Can anyone identify this?

Post by remington600 »

It just looks like a independent engravers sample plate. It doesn't appear to be Remington.
Earthdog

Post by Earthdog »

Oh, thanks. Is there anyway of researching engravers?
remington600

Post by remington600 »

If they were to sign it or some other way to pin it to the correct person. There are far to many that are not known. Maybe a gunsmith with a little art talent. Could be a plate that some one did in the garage? Maybe the auction could give you some insight on who owned the books? If you could contact them you maybe able to track down who did the plate. Could have been a hobby to the guy who owned the books?
sgtsemo

Post by sgtsemo »

One possibility is retired Winchester engraver Pauline Muerrle . She provides a service in Identifying firearm engravings. give a call
http://www.paulinemuerrle.com/