Re:Reminton Arms Company Inc "25 Years Loyal Service" Ring?

joejeweler

Re:Reminton Arms Company Inc "25 Years Loyal Service" Ring?

Post by joejeweler »

Hi all, I'm new here so if I'm out of line in any way please feel free to gently SLAM me! :mrgreen:

I came across this like new 10KY Gold Remington "25 Years Loyal Service" men's ring at a local antique store recently. The detailing was so well done that I decided to buy it.
DSC09444.jpgsmall.jpg
The wonderfully detailed hunting dog's portrait is dutifully holding his master's retrieved bird. One side depicts a running Buck in a wooded field, with "25 Years" displayed on top. The other side depicts a bird in flight (quail or pheasant maybe?), with the words "Loyal Service" also on top. The top diameter is approximately 3/4 inch, or about the diameter of a US penny, and the ring size is 10-1/2
DSC09426.jpgsmall.jpg
DSC09433.jpgsmall.jpg
Considering that MOST employees don't stay at one job anywhere near that long, there can't have been a lot of these made and presented over the years. And with gold being so high over the last several years, I doubt it is still being done,.....but maybe it is? You just need that rare "25 Year LOYAL Employee" :wink:

Just wondering if anyone here has come across one before in a collection of Remington memorabilia, of if you know this is still being done at Remington?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joejeweler

Re: Re:Reminton Arms Company Inc "25 Years Loyal Service" Ri

Post by joejeweler »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I have to chuckle a bit here, because after a week there are no responses to my inquiry on this ring.

I guess this IS a pretty rare piece. :wink:
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

Joejeweler,

I would agree that these rings are some what rare. I have one, which is probably a ladies ring, since it is 1/2" across
the top and size 8. Over the years I have seen 4 or 5 advertised for sale.
I think only an employee of Remington can answer the question, as to when they started and if they still award them.
I have to say yours looks to be in new condition, mine has been worn, but the details are still quite sharp.
joejeweler

Post by joejeweler »

Thanks Chuck,....Your thoughts are similar to mine, that they are not really all that common. I guess the more "nomadic", shall we say,....US worker is a big part of it. The majority of workers simply do not stay 25 years or more at the same job.

I once worked for 3 years in a shade factory while between jewelry work, and although the shade sizes and types varied a bit,....I still got bored with it after a time. With jewelry repair and diamond setting, along with some custom work, I found enough variety to keep my mind interested to work in that area about 35 years.

That said,....the longest I ever stayed at one location was 17 years! :D

I have since decided to see what the market thinks of these, and currently have it listed on ebay. It's too nice in my mind to actually wear, and should really end up in a Remington collection I think.

cheers,
Joe T
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

I saw one for sale before wanted $200, almost had him down to $125.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
joejeweler

Post by joejeweler »

Well, considering the one I picked up contains $345.00 worth of saleable GOLD, you should have picked that one UP! :mrgreen:

I paid a premium over mine over gold, as it was like new,.....but remember these are somewhere around 2X-3X the metal cost to get them made.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

At the time per the scale it was worth around $125, I don't remember when gold went insane but it was before that.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
joejeweler

Post by joejeweler »

DavidFagan wrote:At the time per the scale it was worth around $125, I don't remember when gold went insane but it was before that.
Ahhhh, now I understand,....BUT, you have it backwards if you think "gold went insane". (and silver also :-)

A BIG part of the rapidly rising gold price over the last decade or so can be traced to the truly insane US Gooberment's policy of money creation out of thin air! (either via printing physical dollars or electronic entries). It dilutes value of every citizen's dollar, and true inflation is much worse than they report!

Of course it's in their best interest to report low inflation numbers,......since many of their entitlement obligations such as Social Security have increases based on "reported" inflation figures. Make no mistake,....TRUE inflation numbers are realistically near 8-10% annually or perhaps a bit higher.

Leaving out food and energy from inflation figures is also insane, but that's what is done. :wink:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can't disagree with any of this, I however want to be careful not to create a political forum or I might have to ban myself.
Maybe an off topic post to cover Remington company moves and other things wouldn't be a bad idea if members wanted it.
joejeweler

Post by joejeweler »

admin wrote:I can't disagree with any of this, I however want to be careful not to create a political forum or I might have to ban myself.
Maybe an off topic post to cover Remington company moves and other things wouldn't be a bad idea if members wanted it.
OK,....Sorry,...I didn't think touching on financial or monetary policy was political, since it affects everyone equally at the store.

I just wanted to correct the view of what may seem a high price for gold, since this thread, after all, was about a Remington "gold ring". :wink:

cheers,
Joe T
remington600

Post by remington600 »

There was one of these on ebay about a month or so ago. I don't think it sold for much, but I do onow it didn't reach the $345. mark.
joejeweler

Post by joejeweler »

Well,...I just did an Advanced Search on ebay, and could not find any such sale???

However, "IF" there was such a sale that I'm simply missing (and it's the same man's version in size and similar weight of 10K gold and not the lighter lady's version?), then the sales price you mention means in reality it sold for $0.00, nothing, nada. :wink:

If I gave someone at the bank three $100.00 bills and they exchanged them for me with fifteen $20.00 bills, has anyone "paid" anything for the exchange?

Similarly, if someone pays $345.00 for a gold ring containing $345.00 in saleable gold, I will argue that in fact the "buyer" has not paid a dime for the item,....simply exchanged one form of money for another. ( and gold is in fact better, as it's "real" money!)

Gold has always been viewed that way, but our current generations are so out of touch with "real money" that these things are misunderstood by the masses. (sadly :( )

cheers,
Joe T
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Well I know what I saw and it was on Ebay. I also know it didn't reach what your claiming is the gold value. On the other subject Remington in Illion is well known for long time employees. As long as the tradition of the rings is kept up I have to come to the conclusion that they are not all that rare. I have a feeling that most employees just don't sell them.
Good luck with your sale. Hopefully you get what you feel it's worth. I guess time will tell.