16 ga 870 production date help & more

rla1000

16 ga 870 production date help & more

Post by rla1000 »

Can somebody help me out? I just acquired an older, NIB Wingmaster 16 ga. Unfortunately I cannot discern the production date code on the barrel - it looks like "KI" or "K1" but I don't believe Rem used either an "I" or "1" because of obvious potential confusion. A second pair of letters closer to the receiver is basically illegible, like only the lower portion was stamped into the barrel, and these could be DV, UV, DU or something entirely different. These are all on the left side of the bbl. S/N is T 4313xx W. Barrel is plain with bead sight. Any idea when this was manufactured?

Also, did Remington ever produce the 16 ga. Wingmaster on a 16 ga. frame, i.e., one sized for the gauge as opposed to just putting a heavier 16 barrel on a 12 ga. receiver? I believe when they did the more recent 16 gauge production run a few years ago they simply slapped a heavier bbl. on a 12 frame but I don't know. Mine would pre-date that.

One more question... did Remington ever produce the 16 ga Wingmaster with a vent rib with interchangeable chokes, i.e., RemChokes or other system, not a polychoke?

Thanks for any help you can provide.