Rem 700 Help w ID mfg year.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Molegar76

Rem 700 Help w ID mfg year.

Post by Molegar76 »

Greetings. Today, I put a used Remington 700 in 30-06 on layaway at a local gun shop.

I am concerned about the trigger recall and am wondering if my future rifle is affected by the trigger with the safety issue/recall. I am having some issues identifying the month and or year of mfg on this gun. The serial # begins B631**** . I did look for some barrel markings on the left which from what I've read should distinguish month and year made. However, the only stamps I could find on the left side of the barrel just forward of the action/receiver, flush with the wood handle was what appeared to be the stamp "RPB 17".

Any help on identifying the month and year of this rifle and if I need to be concerned with it for the trigger issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
20180823_115758.jpg
20180823_115758.jpg (68.08 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
Wulfman

Re: Rem 700 Help w ID mfg year.

Post by Wulfman »

Molegar76 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:31 pm Greetings. Today, I put a used Remington 700 in 30-06 on layaway at a local gun shop.

I am concerned about the trigger recall and am wondering if my future rifle is affected by the trigger with the safety issue/recall. I am having some issues identifying the month and or year of mfg on this gun. The serial # begins B631**** . I did look for some barrel markings on the left which from what I've read should distinguish month and year made. However, the only stamps I could find on the left side of the barrel just forward of the action/receiver, flush with the wood handle was what appeared to be the stamp "RPB 17".

Any help on identifying the month and year of this rifle and if I need to be concerned with it for the trigger issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The manufacture dates can be found and verified here.

https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/

The letters "P B" translate to June 1981. Also, the "B" prefix of the serial number also coincides with early 1980s manufacturing.

You would have to have it examined by someone who is familiar with the triggers to determine whether it has been replaced.
Personally, I haven't had any of mine replaced and have never had an issue with any of them. They've all worked just fine. I probably couldn't afford to have all of mine replaced anyway.

Den

Molegar76

Post by Molegar76 »

Thank you Sir. I appreciate it. I hope to have it home soon and get it to the range.
mattsincrete

Post by mattsincrete »

If you don't mind me asking..........what was the price for this weapon. I want to sell mine and curious what the market is bringing. Mine is a BDL model, I've determined it to be an April 1972 manufacture date. For being that old it's a beauty.