Drawings for Remington 1858 New Army

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Onty

Drawings for Remington 1858 New Army

Post by Onty »

Hello, first time here.

Would be possible to find somewhere original drawings for Remington 1858 New Army?

Thanks
aardq

Re: Drawings for Remington 1858 New Army

Post by aardq »

Hi Onty,

What kind of drawings are you looking for: exterior view, internal mechanism, or exploded view?

Daniel
Onty

Post by Onty »

Thanks Daniel,

Expecting next months my first Remington 1958 (hard to get it these days). It will be Uberti, Target Model 44. I Would like to make a 5-bore cylinders for smokeless powder using 209 shotgun primers. In a nutshell, 5-bore is not required for a black powder, however, if geometry is changed, 6-bore cylinder might not work, so I was thinking making also another 5-bore cylinder for black powder. I already contacted local machine shop, and owner is interested into making them. If everything works OK, he might get one revolver for himself, and make another set of 5-bore cylinders. Anybody has an idea what needs to be done regarding geometry of cylinder ratchet, indexing notches, bores, and pawl? I am considering making 3D model in computer and see what needs to be done so revolver will function properly. Unfortunately, I have no access to coordinate measuring machine or laser 3D scanner. In that respect, drawings might help a lot.

Best regards
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hello Onty,

I’m not sure that I understand what you are trying to do. It sounds like you want to make a cylinder with 5 chambers, that will use 209 primers to ignite a charge of smokeless powder. For that you need a metallurgist, who knows about the strength of steel. How would you seat the primers, and how would you remove them once fired? Keep in mind that the cylinder will need to be heat treated, which means a knowledge of the process and how it will affect the steel. Is that something that the machinist can do? What is the advantage of using smokeless powder. If you want to shoot modern smokeless cartridges, get a Kirst converter.

Good luck,
Daniel
Onty

Post by Onty »

You have it right. Also, one big advantage of 5-bore cylinder is much grater strength than 6-bore, especially on Remington 1858 cal. 44 revolvers.

I would like to have back plate like this, with a single firing pin and gate to load primers.

In that case, cylinder doesn't need to be removed in order to extract used primers and put fresh ones. I even tried to organize group buy for Ruger Old Army, but manufacturer asked for a minim order of 50 units, so I gave up.

Black powder cylinder will have full chamber dia. The advantage of using smokeless powder and 209 primers is they are easier to purchase, much more reliable ignition, and no problems with primers falling-off and locking cylinder. I had seen video shooter shaking revolver sideways (right) after every shot.

Another big issue in colder climate is that in almost all indoor ranges they wouldn't let you use black powder or its smoky substitutes. So, its smokeless powder, or go out. When temperatures are well bellow freezing level, it's not fun to spend few hours shooting black powder revolver.

As for conversion cylinder to use standard ammo, too much hassle. I already have 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum revolvers.

BTW, I am mechanical engineer, worked in aerospace and railway industries, retired few years ago, so I familiar with machining methods, steels and heat treatment.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Onty,

You want a new faceplate mounted on the back of the frame opening, wich will have a loading gate, and a firing pin. Then you will have a 5-shot cylinder, and in the place of where holes would be drilled and tapped for the nipples, you will have holes drilled to use 209 primers.

This is a very interesting idea, with several problems to solve. One problem will be getting the primers to stay in place, especially during recoil. Another will be placing the primers into place. You may have to invent a capper for them.

There are custom gunsmiths that turn 6-shot revolvers into 5-shot guns. Maybe you can ask for their input on how they change the timing. Maybe you can find one that will do the work. Maybe Uberti would be interested in this project. If there is money to be made, they might be interested.

Please update us as your project proceeds.
Daniel