How did New Model "C" stamped frames get reused?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Shooter1

How did New Model "C" stamped frames get reused?

Post by Shooter1 »

Hi, I'm new here. I inherited a New Model with a low serial number 15XXX that later had a lightly struck 1 added to make it 115XXX. This number is also scribbled on the inside of the grips, but the trigger guard has 15XXX stamped into it. The barrel is a much higher serial number 96XXX. There is a large C stamped at the heal, which from reading here, I assume means condemned. I see an I and an O inspection mark on one side of the frame and a K on the other. From reading here, I am assuming this frame was later salvaged to make a complete gun and sold to the general public. It was part of a 2 guns set that is plated including the trigger guard. There is no serial on the cylinder.

I'm wondering if this was done this way out of the factory, or if this was later done by a 3rd party re-manufacturer?

The gun has some use visible. I have gone through it and corrected a few issues with timing and changed to new nipples. I like to maintain and shoot what I collect. How concerned should I be firing this with 24gr of Pyrodex and 139 gr .451 swagged ball ammo? Cylinders measure out at .4505".

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and info.

Todd.
Shooter1

Re: How did New Model "C" stamped frames get reused?

Post by Shooter1 »

I guess I should mention that this gun is Nickel Plated. I noticed that someone in a different thread had one with a similar serial number that is also Nickel plated. This gun has been in the family since new and was once part of a two gun box set that was split up in the 1930's. Two ancestors of my wife (brothers) inherited the box from their father, and each took one.

I plan to get a box made to recreate the set as I have a Pietta Stainless 1858 that matches pretty well. The original gun has been with me for 10+ years but I have never fired it.

I ordered Don's book.
Cloverleaf

Post by Cloverleaf »

no pics?????????????????????????????????
Shooter1

Post by Shooter1 »

I decided to take her out and have some fun today. Which led to a bath and a lot of scrubbing. Which knocked off patina, but I'm not much worried about that given it's pedigree and Nickel plating. It ran well with 24 gr of 777, 15gr of corn meal and a Cabela's felt pad with a .451 ball on top. This kept the pressures down, but it was much more accurate with .454 ball. I did a mix of homemade percussion caps and CCI #11's that I necked down to #10. No issues at all. So, I'll be taking her out with her much younger brother also in the pics below. Before and after my fun.
IMG_4222.jpg
IMG_4222.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 1889 times
IMG_4216.jpg
IMG_4216.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 1889 times
IMG_4217.jpg
IMG_4217.jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 1889 times
IMG_4223.jpg
IMG_4223.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 1888 times
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Shooterr,

Your serial, 15,??? was made in March of 1863, and is closed to when the old model production stopped, and the new model began. The bbl was made in Aug or Sept of 64. You are correct that condemned guns were recycled to the civilian market. The cylinders were never serialized, unless hand fitting was required to ensure that the parts all got back on the same gun after finishing. Production of the NMA stopped in March of 1865, which was years before Remington began nickel plating guns, so you gun has been refinished at one time.

Enjoy your pistol,
Daniel
Shooter1

Post by Shooter1 »

Thank you aardq. That is helpful and I appreciate the info. The gun mostly sat in the back of a closet for the last 90 years. The oil used to coat it turned brown and waxy with age. I completely disassembled the gun and bathed it and most of the old waxy build up came off. On the left side, there appears to be some light printing but there is enough patina that it really is not readable. I see an S and remnants of letters and what looks like DAR, but I could be fooling myself. If anyone knows of any images of guns with printing on the left side, it might aid me to pattern match what is there.

I do hunt now and then for it's brother from the set, but I didn't realize until I shot and cleaned it that there was possibly printing there that I should be looking for on the mate.

Thanks, Todd.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Todd,

Inspector's marks were a single, capitol letter. If there are several letters in a row, they were applied by an owner. Remington sold the guns in a cardboard box. If there were 2 guns in a single case, and the guns aren't engraved, then the casing was an probably an aftermarket product. There are several case makers, but their products are pricey. An internet search should locate a few of them.

Good luck,
Daniel