REMINGTON .44 NEW MODEL ARMY REVOLVER Info Needed...

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
rhrehor123

REMINGTON .44 NEW MODEL ARMY REVOLVER Info Needed...

Post by rhrehor123 »

So a family member has this gun and I'd like to get more information regarding the markings on it, especially under the grips. Attached are pictures for help in understanding more about this firearm. the barrel and number under the grips match which tells me that's the serial number and that they are both original parts. Thank you for any help you can give me in advance.

Sincerely,
Rob
Attachments
Frame.jpg
Frame.jpg (81.6 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
With Grips.jpg
With Grips.jpg (94.55 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
Top Barrel.jpg
Top Barrel.jpg (91.13 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
Left Side.jpg
Left Side.jpg (122.8 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
Left Grip.jpg
Left Grip.jpg (114.29 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
aardq

Re: REMINGTON .44 NEW MODEL ARMY REVOLVER Info Needed...

Post by aardq »

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the RSA forum. Your pistol was made in early, Dec. 1863. The front sight has been replaced, it should be a cone. There are no inspector's marks on the gun, and there is no cartouche on the grips, but they could be replacements. Those marks would indicate government purchase, so your gun was for the civilian market.

There may be a serial penciled on the inside of the grips. There will be a serial on the inside of the trigger guard tab. Were there any numbers or marks under the barrel other than the serial?

I have no idea what the other numbers and letters may mean. Maybe some kind of company markings, but 3.25 1863 can't be a date of acquisition since the gun wasn't made until 12-1863. Could CY be the initials of the company? The 3.25 number is important since it's on both sides of the frame. Since the number has a dot, not a dash, can the 3.25 indicate a dimension? Maybe Bill T will jump in with an idea or two.