Remington Rider .32 rimfire DA/SA Revolver

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Exmilcop

Remington Rider .32 rimfire DA/SA Revolver

Post by Exmilcop »

Greetings from Canada! From time to time, I encounter items totally out of my wheelhouse. One such is Remington Rider .32 rf. pistol with a 2" barrel (Ser.2628). It's a very neat little pistol though not in the greatest shape. As I understand it from my research thus far, it was originally a cap-and-ball pistol later converted to fire the .32 rf. cartridge. The bad; this pistol hasn't been the subject of great maintenance. The chambers and bore are badly pitted but still strong rifling present. The good; mechanics in both sa/da are excellent. The cylinder advances as it should, indexes properly, and there's no slop to the cylinder when it's in battery. I'd rate it conservatively as 5/10. Are these scarce little pistols? I know from my years of collecting militaria that prices are contingent on the market and the region. I'd appreciate an idea of current market value since what I've discovered thus far, prices vary wildly.
Thank you, in advance, for any additional information you can provide
DSCN1514.JPG
DSCN1514.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 3334 times
DSCN1513.JPG
DSCN1513.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 3334 times
DSCN1512.JPG
DSCN1512.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 3334 times
Exmilcop

Re: Remington Rider .32 rimfire DA/SA Revolver

Post by Exmilcop »

Seriously! A Remington collectors site and nobody chiming in on this?
aardq

Post by aardq »

OK, I’ll take a crack at this little pistol, but first an explanation of the Remington world today. Remingtons are not as popular with collectors as are Colts, so we have fewer people to draw from. Many Remington experts have died over the years, and there aren’t as many “younger” folks getting interested in collecting to take their place.

That said, welcome to the wonderful, but wacky world of Remington collecting, where the only rule is that there are no rules. There is also a lack of records, thus a lack of information. There is no book on these guns, but maybe one day there will be.

These were Remington's first DA pistol, and may be the first US made DA pistol. You’re correct that they were originally made in 31 percussion, later they were made as 32 rf cartridge model. Many percussion guns were converted to 32rf,, since they only needed a cartridge cylinder. These were probably at the same time as the cartridge guns were made. About 20,000 of both types were made from 1860 to 1888. Most believe they were made in batches, so there is no way to know when any given serial number was made. Your pistol has no capping cut out on the right side of the frame, so it was made as a cartridge revolver.

A word of caution. These are “self-cocking,” or double action only pistols, and should not be used single action. You can freeze or damage the lock work buy cocking the hammer by hand. There aren’t any known gunsmiths that work on these pistols.

This site never gives any values, because condition means everything, and only an in-hand inspection can determine condition, and see thing that don’t show in photos. You can look up approximate value ranges in The Blue Book of Gun Values. Also check the online auction sites to get a general idea.

Enjoy your little pistol
Daniel
Last edited by aardq on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hello again. A quick check in another sources states that some Riders were made with the shorter barrels, so please ignore what I said about the barrel length.

Daniel
Exmilcop

Post by Exmilcop »

Daniel, thank you so much. I still need to do a little more research and I may already have a buyer.