Questions about a Remington NMA possibly unfired

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Lidsman

Questions about a Remington NMA possibly unfired

Post by Lidsman »

Hi Guys
This is my first post and I have recently bought a Remington New Model Army in very good condition. I live in Sweden and the seller is a well known and trusted gentleman who's been selling cap and ball revolvers for many years. He thinks that its unfired or at least not used very much.

What I wonder, like most of us buying an original revolver, is when its made and if someone has some information to which regiment is was shipped to. I also would like to get some thoughts about the reason for the fine condition. Could it have been given to an officer, perhaps in an administrative role, that didn't see much fighting or lead his men instead of fighting. Or could it have been shipped to a regiment that never was involved in any fighting. I do understand that we can only speculate and that we never can know for certain.

The serial number is 92393 and its on all the right places except for the cylinder. Here is a link to some pictures (all courtesy of tglteknik.se)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QokDsdDJiYvA8zys7

Looking forward to your thoughts
Ulf Lidsman
aardq

Re: Questions about a Remington NMA possibly unfired

Post by aardq »

Hi Lidsman,

Welcome to the RSA web site. You have a very nice NMA, made in Aug, 1864, and inspected so it was a US owned gun. The "BH" inspector's cartouche is for Benjamin Haris, a principle sub-inspector. It appears to be fired very little, with some of the blue flaking off, which is normal. Rem only marked the cylinders if it was fitted to that particular frame, other wise they weren't marked.

There is no way to tell for sure if the gun was even issued. At this late date in the Civil War many guns were bought on contract, and then were placed in storage. Later these, un-issued, surplus guns were sold to dealers, distributors, and the public. No way to know how it got to Sweden.

Enjoy your fine NMA.
Dan
Lidsman

Post by Lidsman »

Hi Dan
Thank you very much for your answer. Much appreciated. It's interesting to know that in late 1864 the Union army was so well equipped that they could place guns in storage. If I understand you correctly my Remington could very well been sold to a civilian after the war or even issued to the army.

Ulf Lidsman
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Lidsman,

You are correct on what I meant. After the war some guns were kept in storage, some were issued to state militias, and most were sold to distributors for re-sale on the civilian market. Some NMAs were sent to France during the Franco-Prussian War. The government may have also sent some to other countries. At some point, after the change to cartridge revolvers, those in storage, or issued to state militias would have been sold to distributors.

Enjoy your nice revolver.

Dan