New Guy - New Smoot - Rod Removal Question

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Andylit

New Guy - New Smoot - Rod Removal Question

Post by Andylit »

Hello to the group. I am new to this arena and to Remington revolvers.

I purchased a #3 .38 Colt Short with the birdhead grip. Near perfect working condition. Smooth, locks up tight, no sticking or slop at any point. Nickle is in great shape on the frame, very good on the barrel and spotty on the cylinder. Black grips have no visible wear, checkering is perfect. Overall is 60%-80%. #13501 stamped on the frame under the cylinder.

Gotta love local gunshows.

As I do with all new purchases I immediately tore it down to give it a total cleaning. I am flummoxed on how to remove the ejector/cylinder rod assembly. I got the ejector rod out easily but am stuck beyond that point. I tapped out the pin at the front of the barrel to no avail.

I've been looking at part diagrams and just cannot see how to remove the spring and cylinder rod. Short of removing the barrel from the frame it seems to be impossible. The pin at the front seems to be irrelevant.

I have to be missing something here.

Help, please.
billt

Re: New Guy - New Smoot - Rod Removal Question

Post by billt »

Hello Andylit,
Welcome to the forum. The pin at the front of the barrel retains the ejector rod and ejector rod spring. The round ball with the hole into which the ejector rod goes is a part of the cylinder pin. There is a little tongue sticking out in front of the ball which is also a part of the cylinder pin. That tongue sits in a indentation in the frame which keeps it from sliding forward. Push up on the tongue and slide it forward toward the muzzle and the cylinder pin should slide toward the muzzle. The cylinder pin is spring loaded by the rear of the ejector rod spring but will slide forward enough to remove the cylinder. Make sure the trigger is at half cock so the cylinder does not hang up on the firing pin. If the cylinder pin won’t slide forward and you cannot pull the ejector spring out the end of the spring may be jammed between the cylinder pin and the wall of the ejector housing. If you need some pictures I could take one of mine apart.

Bill
Andylit

Post by Andylit »

Bill,

I see all that you are saying. The cylinder comes out no problem. But there is no way to get the cylinder rod or spring out of the tube. The pin at the front is redundant and unnecessary. The slot that keeps the 2 round rings (around the ejector rod) on the straight and narrow is closed at both front and rear.

All the photos I've seen that show the spring removed also show the slot being cut all the way to the front and open. The retaining pin is required there.
billt

Post by billt »

I did not recall ever seeing a Smoot with a closed ejector channel and went back to check my Smoots. Low and behold I have a # 3 BHO (Birds Head Octagon) version which has a closed ejector channel. It was the first #3 version made and it did not have a rib on the top of the octagon barrel. It also has a smaller front sight than the later models. I looked at my Smoot book and on page 79 the following is stated about the BHO version: “The small cylinder center pin, ejector spring and spherical lug at the muzzle end cannot be removed because of the web material below the pin. This milling fault was corrected in the SH variation, so that all of these parts could be removed from the channel for cleaning and or replacement.”
You might want to pick up a copy of “A Study of Remington’s Smoot Patent & Number Four Revolvers” by Parker, Parker and Reisch.
Thanks for asking about your Smoot. Because of it I learned something today.

Bill
Andylit

Post by Andylit »

Thank you. I thought I was losing my mind. Your description matches exactly. Octagonal barrel.

So, its an even more scarce bird than before? Oh Boy.

I have read that the #3 was made with most of the run in bird head and the last 6000 or so with the more "modern" grip. Any word on how many had the "fault" described here?
billt

Post by billt »

According to “The Guns of Remington” and “Flaydermans Guide to Antique American Firearms” the BHO was the most produced. They both have the number at 12,500 with the BHR (Bird Head Ribbed) at 6000 and the SH (Saw Handle) at 6500. I go to about ten shows a year and have been going for the last ten years and I have only seen a handful of BHO revolvers. However, I will say that I have not been really looking for the BHO version since I already have one. If Parker, Parker and Reisch are correct and the milling fault was not corrected until the SH version came out all of the BHO versions should have the problem.

Bill