Remington Model 1875 & 1890 references

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
orpington

Remington Model 1875 & 1890 references

Post by orpington »

Are there any good books on these models out there, even out of print?
aardq

Re: Remington Model 1875 & 1890 references

Post by aardq »

Hi Orpington,

Unfortunately, not really. There have been some articles written about them, and they are mentioned in a few books, but no books on them. There are a couple of RSA members researching the 75s, and a couple researching the 88s. I am compiling a serial list of the 90s, but not doing any research on them.

The 90s are very straight forward, except for finish and bbl length they are all the same. If you have some specific questions just ask and maybe we can get answers for you.

An article was written about 20 years ago on the three guns, and if you want a copy, send me a pm.

Dan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nodakr68

Post by Nodakr68 »

Is there any info on serial # ranges in regards to production year ? I have an 1875 with a serial # in the low 300s in a 44-40 with the “44” stamp on the left side frame, between cylinder and barrel......been really curious on when it may have been made ??
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Nodakr68,

Actually that is a batch number, not a serial number. It is generally believes that only the first 16,000 75s, all in 44 Rem., were sequential serial numbers. After the switch to the 44-40, it is believed that the numbers are batch numbers. We have no idea of how many were is a batch, or if the batches were even the same number made in each.

The first 44-40s had the "44" stamped on the left, bottom grip. The second location was on the upper, left frame, like yours, and the final location was on the left, rear of the trigger guard. The front sight was also changed from the pinched style, to a blade some time in the 1880s. The online article written by Don Ware that the admin posted is the most comprehensive info we have on the 75s.

Enjoy your pistol.
Daniel
Nodakr68

Post by Nodakr68 »

I don’t know how I missed your reply Daniel, but thank you for all the info !! Is it true that some were also shortened at the factory ? And if so, is there any way to tell ?

Thanks again,
Clay
FB2C16EE-69E2-4E3B-8439-4288EDD17B44.jpeg
FB2C16EE-69E2-4E3B-8439-4288EDD17B44.jpeg (371.35 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hello Again Clay,

Yes, there are a few, very few "short" barrel 75s, and most are done by the factory, but some were done by gunsmiths. There is no way to know for sure, but check the front sight. On a cut barrel, the sight will have to be removed first, and then installed on the cut barrel. Unless done by a very good gunsmith, the front sight will not look "quite right" where it meets the barrel.

The short bbl 75 may be the rarest of the 75s variations. Beware of short bbl Mexican 75s. It is generally believed that a lot, if not most of the 75s that went to Mexico had their barrels cut. They often weren't maintained very well, and some look just this side of being a relic.

Good luck with your 75,
Dan
Nodakr68

Post by Nodakr68 »

It sure looks to have been doing by someone VERY skilled....where the bladed site meets the barrel, it almost appears seamless.

I am very fortunate to own a ‘75 finally, and it functions perfectly. A great addition to my old west collection.
Attachments
212A95EA-9D59-43B0-9FDB-1A26C65D93FB.jpeg
212A95EA-9D59-43B0-9FDB-1A26C65D93FB.jpeg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 6987 times
1361DA44-FABE-4B2F-A6D2-0FAF1E4D68E2.jpeg
1361DA44-FABE-4B2F-A6D2-0FAF1E4D68E2.jpeg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 6987 times
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Clay,

Yup, that bbl is cut! The muzzle isn't properly crowned so it is obvious that it was cut. But, you're right that the front sight was re-installed very skillfully, to the point of looking like a factory installation. Have fun and enjoy your gun. Please let us know how you did making the cartridges, and how it shoots. Don't forget the photos!

Dan
orpington

Post by orpington »

After much thought, I am thinking of attempting to write a book on the Remington 1875, 1888, and 1890 revolvers. Here are some hurdles, but anything is possible:

Not much original primary source material out there. Not insurmountable, but would prove helpful.

I am unpublished. I have a professional degree that allows me to practice in my field, but I have never done a lot of original research, other than prior to pursuing my professional degree, I did pursue a Master's degree and dropped out after a year. It was due to a bad job market and not getting a decent job immediately out of college, and not necessarily even a field I was that much interested in.

Having said that, I am a student of history, and that's where I would have been most comfortable pursuing a degree, but I was smart enough to realize early on that unless you have a degree from an Ivy League school (I know this statement will prove controversial), it is better to pursue a marketable degree and make history a passion.

I work a ridiculous number of hours in my profession, and intend to be retired in 9 years. Sounds like a long time, but I would think that in order to produce a quality work worthy of publication, a decade would be plausible, given I am employed full time.

I am often asked my advice with regards to antique Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers. Based on some of my original research (observations, knowledge base, etc.), it is not unusual for someone to ask me advice via Private Message completely out of the blue, based on my posts with my thoughts, observations, or some original research.

I am by no means an expert with regards to the Remington 1875, 1888, and 1890 revolvers. Then again, no one is an expert in anything but it comes with research, hopefully original in nature.

Often, a study is done with surveys of existing specimens. Those on one's collection and those of other collectors. But, how is such a feat accomplished, maintaining a database, with clear photographs of unusual or rare specimens, or even those with significant condition?

Maybe it's just plain insane to even consider this.
orpington

Post by orpington »

Okay, my insane work schedule, while still insane, became a little less so as of today. I have not given up on this idea for a book and hopefully can begin in earnest.

Does anyone know If the papers of Marcellus Hartley still exist, and, if so, where. The Library of Congress and Yale University are obvious choices, but maybe some are known to exist elsewhere?
orpington

Post by orpington »

And something of interest...

The residence of Helen Hartley Jenkins, 1860 to 1934, daughter of Marcellus Hartley, located in Norfolk, Connecticut:

https://qpublic.schneidercorp.com/Appli ... yValue=700

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSIm1mAimis

And here is a reference to Michael Pupin and Helen Hartley Jenkins. This is no coincidence as rumor, very substantiated, suggests she was his mistress:

https://www.nytimes.com/1913/11/25/arch ... ising.html

Instead of always asking for help, here's a bit of original research, although not directly related to the 1875, 1888, and 1890 revolvers.

More about Michael Pupin:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mihajlo_Pupin
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Clay,

I'm not aware of any books on Hartley, but there must be several. I don't know if he left any personal papers, and where they might be.

I do know the location of one of his personal pistols (as of 4 years ago), but that doesn't help you.

The best source for info on the 18nn guns is the article by Don Ware that the admin posted above. Ware also has info on the 18nn pistols in his book, “Remington Army and Navy Revolvers, 1861-1888.”

Bill T on this site, maintains a survey of the 75s, and I have a survey of the 90s. My next update will be mid-Oct and I can include you on the mailing list if you like.

There are two RSA members that are researching the 88s, and have a survey, but are not releasing it at this time. The serials on the 88s are meaningless. The assembly numbers, under the barrel, are sequential, and give a better indication of the total production. It appears that less than 300 were made. We don’t know how many were actually made, or how many were assembled from left over parts. To make the 88s, Remington Arms began using up left over 75 parts, and may have had to make some new parts, but we have no idea what parts or how many.

The 88s are truly mysteries, at many levels. Unfortunately, the lack of Remington records may make it impossible to solve any of those mysteries.
Daniel