Information about a handgun, please

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
reisman

Information about a handgun, please

Post by reisman »

I have an old handgun, and this is what I know about it, but I have more questions.

I have been told the following:
Remington New Model Pocket Revolver which was made c 1863-1873 in percussion and subsequent production as metallic cartridge conversions. It is .32 caliber. Mine is the factory conversion model # 5E-033. No brass anywhere on the gun, all iron, dark and mottled looking like a lot of the old bluing has come off. The only rust is on the threads of the barrel inside the frame. The barrel is 3 ½” in length. The walnut grips are in excellent condition. The serial number on the underside of the hex shaped barrel is 24416, the cylinder is in two pieces, and is recessed for rimfire black powder cartridges. On the main part of the cylinder is the number 4573. On the top of the barrel is the following: PATENTED SEPT. 14, 1858. MARCH 17, 1863 E. REMINGTON & SONS, ILION, NEW YORK. USA. NEW MODEL. Since only 25,000 were made, this one was probably made from the outset for the rimfire cartridges and was not converted from the percussion type. This particular piece was probably manufactured just after the civil war from 1865-1873.

I can take more pictures if anyone needs them to determine more information.

My questions:
1. Is it safe to shoot?
2. If not, who should I send it to or take it to in order to make it safe to shoot.
3. Maybe that is not a valid consideration and it should be retained as a collector item only, but I need some advice on this question, as it may be absurd for me to even suggest such a thing.
4. Would this have been carried in its day in someone's pocket, or used in some kind of holster or something like that, either concealed or not concealed?
5. Who would have used this small a gun, and in what circumstances?
6. What is it worth, and to whom? Historical collector, etc.?

Anything anyone else can tell me would be most appreciated. I love guns and I love history, but this one was given to me by an uncle from his pawn shop, so I don't have any history on it particularly.

Thanks for any help. Regards, Mike
Attachments
Remington 2.jpg
Remington 2.jpg (253.64 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Remington 1.jpg
Remington 1.jpg (268.38 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
aardq

Re: Information about a handgun, please

Post by aardq »

Hi Mike,

Yes, it’s a New Model Pocket revolver. It should be in 32 rim fire. Based on the serial number, you are probably right, that it was made as a cartridge revolver, probably in the 1872-75 era. Cartridges were made for Navy arms about 40 years ago and some are still available. Pricey, but they are around.

More photos would be nice, but not really needed.

1) Yes, but ONLY with black powder.
2) No way to make 150 year old metal any safer.
3) Yes, only as a collector item.
4) Yes to all of them, except open carry. Most likely carried in a coat pocket, or kept in a drawer.
5) The same as today. Anyone and everyone could have carried that or had it for home defense. The same circumstances as today, when threatened with physical danger.
6) We don’t give values on guns that we can’t personally inspect, just too many variables.
Enjoy it for what it is.

Dan
reisman

Re: Information about a handgun, please

Post by reisman »

So nice of you to spend time replying to my questions. Most appreciated. I know valuing a gun is impossible, but can you even suggest a range or some ballpark idea? It is unlikely I would ever sell it. I kind of like it just for the way it looks and its historic value. I don't need the money from it, but I would just like some idea. If it is a few hundred dollars, multiple thousand dollars, or whatever. I have been told it is in good condition for its age. The cylinder rotates, it cocks to 1/2 cock and full cock ok, and it all seems decent. I would never hold anyone to a value unless they got to examine it fully. Just wondering if you wouldn't mind just a personal opinion.