1958 New Army serial research help

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
AZPhil

1958 New Army serial research help

Post by AZPhil »

Hello Everyone,
I have a New Army model .44 caliber Remington revolver. I picked this up when I got to Arizona in 1982. I guess I love the Pale Rider movie way to much to not have one. :lol:
I did some research years ago and the link I found is no longer available and I was hoping on getting the the when and where of this pistols history along with to whom it was issued.
I went ahead and got the Civil War Pistols book written by John D. McAulay, But that just gave production number and wasn't specific for the info I am looking for.
I also have an acquaintance who has one who's serial number is close to mine and I wondered if you could also give me the same info so I can pass it along.
My serial number is 44078, His is 44969.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Semper Fi
Phil
billt

Re: 1958 New Army serial research help

Post by billt »

Hi Phil,
Both of those revolvers were manufactured and delivered to the Ordnance Department in November of 1863. Unfortunately there are no records to whom the revolvers were issued.

Sorry I can’t be of more help,

Bill
AZPhil

Post by AZPhil »

Thank you for the reply Bill. I greatly appreciate the date of birth for both those serial numbers. So there are no records of who they were issued to? I remember the link on ParallaxBill's site , Now no longer available. Mentioned the Massachusetts volunteer cavalry and the rest I don't remember.. I was hoping that both serial numbers might have winded up in that same Cav unit.

Thanks Again
Semper Fi
Phil
billt

Post by billt »

Hi Phil,
There are no records by serial number to whom the revolvers were issued. However, there is the Springfield Research Database, which lists the serial numbers of revolvers, which were gleaned from the National Archives and the units they were issued to. All of the serial numbers are not in the Archives because all of the company clerks did not record them as was their job. The two closest numbers from the database to you revolver are 44055 and 44091 both of which were issued to Company D 1st Mass Volunteer Cavalry in 1864 so there is a good possibility yours went there also. The two closest numbers to the other revolver are 44932 and 44991 both of which were issued to Company H 6th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry in October 1864.

Bill
AZPhil

Post by AZPhil »

Thanks Bill. I'm happy with that data. I was about to see if I could get an inter library loan for Robert Reilly's US Military small arms 1816-1865. To see if that is where the info I had gotten years ago were from. You saved me from more disappointment if it didn't have it. But I do appreciate you going that extra bit to find that info and the source. Here she is. Its good to know where she has been.
1858 remington 1.jpg
1858 remington 1.jpg (43.04 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
I'll also pass the info about the other serial number to my Friend. I'm sure he will be happy to here the same!!

Thank You Again.
Semper Fi
Phil