New Model Army

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
grandpasgun

New Model Army

Post by grandpasgun »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum but have an interest in Remington New Model Army pistols. My great, great, grandfather's enlistment papers show he was issued this pistol, serial number 54774.

I have some questions:
1. When was this pistol manufactured/delivered?
2. Where was it delivered?

I would like to try to find this pistol, though I know it's an impossible task. Any advice on where to look for it?

Thanks for your help!
billt

Re: New Model Army

Post by billt »

Hello,
Welcome to the forum. Your great, great grandfathers revolver was manufactured and delivered to the Ordnance Department in February of 1864. A quick check of the Springfield Research Database does not list serial number 54774. However, the revolver with serial number 54624 was issued to Company D of the Pennsylvania 22nd Volunteer CSV in October of 1864 and the revolver with serial number 54816 was issued to Company M of the 22 Pennsylvania Volunteer CSV in March of 1864. You are correct, finding a specific revolver is going to be a near impossible task since Remington sold approximately 122,000 Remington revolvers to the Ordnance Department during the War. If you want to learn more about New Model Army revolvers, I suggest Donald Ware’s book Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861 – 1888.

I hope this helps,

Bill