Question, odd G stamp on right grip frame

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Chuck T

Question, odd G stamp on right grip frame

Post by Chuck T »

I acquired a New Model Army to add to my collection as a shooter as the exterior is a bit rough but the bore & action was in excellent shape. The frame ser. # is 117160 & barrel ser.# is 92822, both indicate 1864 manufacture. Inspection stamps on the barrel, frame, cylinder & trigger guard are C, J, P & W.
The photos below show the large 'G' stamp & what appears to be a # 1 stamp markings in question, can you provide me with what these markings might represent ? Could they have something to do with the miss-matched serial numbers as an arsenal rebuild ?
Really appreciate any input you can offer
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 4065 times
IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_0077.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 4065 times
Chuck T.Image
Patbar

Re: Question, odd G stamp on right grip frame

Post by Patbar »

I have a New Model Belt Remington which has matching serial numbers but also the same "1" on the left side of the frame under the grip, and the same "G", but stamped on the side of the trigger guard instead of the frame.
billt

Post by billt »

Hi Chuck,
I have seen a Remington 1875 revolver with that same size ‘G’ stamped on the frame under the right grip. I have no idea what it means. I doubt is has anything to do with the mixed serial numbers. I have over the years recorded sixty New Model Army revolvers with mixed serial numbers. From my observations of this data I have come to the conclusion that there are three main reasons for the mixed numbers. 1. Factory error, the numbers in the serial number are transposed such as (60107 and 60117 or 139595 and 139959). 2. The barrel has been replaced in the field. In this case the serial numbers are very far apart such as frame 93609 and barrel 1151 or frame 97598 and barrel 6871. 3. The third type is due to the standard manufacturing procedure in the Remington factory. Don Ware (author of Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861-1888) always said Remington never wasted anything. When a revolver failed inspection that revolver was disassembled and the offending part was replaced. In the case of a defective frame the revolver would have been taken apart and the frame either discarded or stamped with a ‘C’ (see picture) to be used on a civilian revolver. The other parts would go back into stock to be used on a later revolver. Seventy one percent of the revolvers I have recorded fall into this last category. As far as the #1 stamped on the frame goes I have no idea of what it is for. I have revolvers with it and some without it. I have one revolver with a punch mark where your #1 is and another with a small #1 where yours is[attachment. Maybe some day someone will figure it out.

Bill
Attachments
P2120202.JPG
P2120202.JPG (2.94 MiB) Viewed 3945 times
P2120209.JPG
P2120209.JPG (2.8 MiB) Viewed 3945 times
P2120213.JPG
P2120213.JPG (3.01 MiB) Viewed 3945 times
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Your input on the mystery markings are much appreciated, may be no answers to what the markings represent.
A few years back a gentleman brought me an interesting Remington in the photos below for to check out, no doubt that it was a frontier re-work. It had a 9" .45 cal. round barrel with fast twist rifling, homemade trigger guard, holster & grips & nice job on the cartridge conversion cylinder.
Chuck TImage
Attachments
100_3352.JPG
100_3352.JPG (554.29 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
100_3347.jpg
100_3347.jpg (897.28 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
Patbar

Post by Patbar »

I have the same "G" on my Belt Model, although it is not stamped on the grip, but on the left side of the tiggerguard.

Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

I'm not as well versed as many on the forum but your G stamp on the trigger guard seems to resemble an inspectors stamp.
I acquired it a couple of years ago because I collect & shoot my original black powder firearms.
The 58 NM Army I have has had a very combative life in action but had a tight action & near perfect bore. The barrel's serial number did not match the frame but was in the same 1864 mfg date range & exterior appeared to have suffered a blast that caused three slight bends & the trigger guard had been cracked & bent to one side. I have some firearm restoration experience so was able to do the repairs & re-zero the barrel & enjoyed bringing it back to life & shooting this piece of our history. Below is a photo of the finished product.
Chuck T
Attachments
IMG_E0073.JPG
IMG_E0073.JPG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 3770 times
Patbar

Post by Patbar »

Chuck T wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:59 am I'm not as well versed as many on the forum but your G stamp on the trigger guard seems to resemble an inspectors stamp.
I don't think it is an inspector's stamp since as far as I know, the Remington Belt Model never was a martial arm.
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Thanks for the correction on that point i forgot yours is a civilian pocket model. Perhaps there is some connection between our G markings, perhaps one day a clever forum member will be able to identify who this G-man was & what his job was at Remington ?

The exterior distortion damage to my revolver's miss-matched barrel & on the poorly repaired trigger guard appears to have been caused by a severe explosion. Due to the crude repair on the trigger guard the revolver might have ended up being used by both sides in the war or possibly went west & was repaired on more than one occasion by some frontier blacksmith ?
The easily swapped cylinders & use of gain-twist rifling rifling Remington used made these revolvers more accurate & popular than most during that period, it's no wonder that the original are still favored by collectors & shooters today.
Chuck T